DynaComp + SD-1

Started by ocelot, February 09, 2005, 04:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ocelot

Hi

I have modified my Boss SD-1 to a really nice overdrive (germ diodes) etc and I am using a DynaComp in front of the pedal for solo's etc cause when I go near the amp I get the most beautiful controlled feedback. However I have tried boost pedals and another tube screamer but I just don't seem to get enought boost is anybody using their compressor after overdrive ? I am using it before the Boss pedal I am maxing out the dynacomp but without compression there is no feedback. So can the dynacomp be modified for slightly more gain ? I remember seeing something regarding adjusting the attack on the pedals any ideas ?

Outlaws

Quote from: ocelotHi

I have modified my Boss SD-1 to a really nice overdrive (germ diodes) etc and I am using a DynaComp in front of the pedal for solo's etc cause when I go near the amp I get the most beautiful controlled feedback. However I have tried boost pedals and another tube screamer but I just don't seem to get enought boost is anybody using their compressor after overdrive ? I am using it before the Boss pedal I am maxing out the dynacomp but without compression there is no feedback. So can the dynacomp be modified for slightly more gain ? I remember seeing something regarding adjusting the attack on the pedals any ideas ?

I have the SuperComp and use it for overdrive all the time.  It really is a great pedal.

ocelot

do you run it after your overdrive pedal ?

Outlaws

Quote from: ocelotdo you run it after your overdrive pedal ?

I don't use any overdrive pedals 99% of the time.  I just use a guitar compressor and my amps.

I do use a distortion or OD pedal once in a while when practicing at low volumes, but I never use a compressor and OD together at that point.

I use the SuperComp as a compressor/solo boost when infront of my amp at full volume, but at bedroom volumes I just get close to maxing out the attack and sesitivity and I get a very nice shimmer sound reminicent of a nice tube breakup.

When playing loud I like to keep my amps right at the break up point so they are clean when picking softly and raunchy when picking hard.  If I need more I will use my Budda pedal for that.

(If you haven't noticed I am a tube snob.   :lol: )

Mark Hammer

Sticking a compressor AHEAD of a distortion implies two things:

First, by compressing the signal, it feeds the clipping device after it a more reliable signal level such that whatever degree of clipping you set the distortion to will be consistently audible regardless of picking strength.

Second, most compressors will be capable of delivering some degee of level boost apart from compression per se, pushing the distortion a little harder and yielding MORE (potential) clipping.

If the compressor is situated after the distortion, several things happen:

1) Whatever residual noise comes from the distortion pedal will be amplified considerably by the compressor during "quiet" passages, necessitating the use of a noise gate or turning your treble WAY down on the amp to keep the annoying hiss at bay.

2) You'll lose the consistency of clipping available with the other pedal sequence, and only gain the approximate equivalent of a single-transistor gain recovery stage, such as seen after the tone control on a Big Muff.

Nope, the optimum arrangement is compressor into distortion.

j0shua

Hi Ocelot :

I mix those pedals : Boss Distortion  DS-1 and Rocktek Compressor
and is great when i play solos, and good feedback from 1 Mts to 4 Mts of my Amp. *** i never mod. my DS1 or my Rocktek Compressor.

i made my own distortion a mod of Big daddy distortion based on LM386 IC , then i mix whit my Compressor and have hell feedback ....

** to mod big daddy , just put 2 RED LED 3mm or 2 Germaniun DIODE to the out and have little hard distortion, but be carefull , the LM386 need heat creame ( thermal cream ) to avoid some gain problems .....

Note : I don't like TUBE SCREAMER ( is my personal taste ) ....

:) i like those ones: Brown in a box distortion, Boss DS-1,  Distortion+ and Guyatone Dimebag

Jay Doyle

Yes comp after distortions can be noisy but I did it for this reason...

When I was gigging, I would set up my rhythm level with the comp, adding either distortion I had before it wouldn't alter the level, or just a little bit due to the added harmonics, that way I could have a clean rhythm tone as well as three different distorted (dist1, dist2, or dist1+dist2) rhythm tones, all at relatively the same level.

When solo time came I would just step off of the comp and let the distortions rip my amp.

This made my bandmates very happy as well as soundmen who knew that I only had two levels, rhythm and solo.

But, yes, it can get noisy...

FWIW,

Jay Doyle