arrow direction for Xicon electro caps

Started by powerplayj, February 09, 2005, 05:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

Which direction should the arrow point for the blue Xicon electrocaps? (pos or neg).  I have the arrows going in the neg. direction but it seems the voltage is higher at the positive end of each cap even though the schem says otherwise.

I have built a Tonebender MKII kit which is a Ge positive ground circuit but, can't get the correct voltage for the 3rd tranny even when using a trimmer for the bias resistor.  Just asking all the prelim questions first.  I built the audio probe as well but can't get a solid sound at any point in the circuit.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Paul Marossy

The arrows always point to the negative terminal. Maybe they are mis-marked?

Alex C

All the blue Xicon electros I've seen are as shown in this picture, where the arrow itself has the "-" marking.

Paul Marossy

Notice the bars point to the negative terminal...  :wink:

Alex C

Quote from: Paul MarossyNotice the bars point to the negative terminal...  :wink:
Yes, my response was intended as an addition to your information, not a correction.   :)

Do the arrows always point to the negative lead?  Component manufacturers seem to love to become the exception to the rule (especially regarding transistor pinouts).

In any case, on that type of cap (assuming it's marked as shown, as is every Xicon electro I've seen), there should be no question that the arrow is pointing to the negative lead.

Paul Marossy

Quotemy response was intended as an addition to your information, not a correction

No worries Alex C.  :wink:

AFAIK, the arrows always point to the negative terminal. I believe that this is convention, as far as electrolytic caps are concerned...