News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

FET as diode

Started by seanm, February 09, 2005, 10:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanm

In the simple mods/tips section it mentions using a FET as a diode. Any recommendations on a FET to use? Would a 2N7000 MOSFET work well?

petemoore

Sure @@@

I liek 2n7000 or Jfet or Si
 Just use G/S of fet
 or B/E on si's and Ge's
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

amz-fx

The Shaka 3 that I developed with Aron uses mosfets for clipping diodes:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/shaka3.jpg

regards, Jack

R.G.

There are three ways a FET can be used as a diode.
(1) JFET gate-channel diode. Short drain and source, and forward bias the Drain/source to the gate terminal. This is an especially low leakage, but high resistance diode.
(2) MOSFET substrate diode. Short source and gate and the source/gate and drain works in the reverse direction of normal conduction. This diode is a fairly normal silicon diode
(3) diode connected MOSFET. Short gate and drain. The MOSFET now acts like a higher forward voltage (2-3V) but very soft clipping diode.

Actually, there is another way. If you connect the gate and source of a JFET, the JFET will regulate current through the JFET at all voltages over Vp. The current it regulates to is equal to the JFET Idss.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

seanm

Quote from: amz-fxThe Shaka 3 that I developed with Aron uses mosfets for clipping diodes:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/shaka3.jpg

regards, Jack
Is the diode attached to the MOSFET necessary, or is it for tone reasons?

seanm

Quote from: R.G.
(3) diode connected MOSFET. Short gate and drain. The MOSFET now acts like a higher forward voltage (2-3V) but very soft clipping diode.
Is this litterally a diode on a MOSFET like the Shaka 3? I want to soften the distortion, more like a tube amp on 10.

Paul Marossy

All BJTs, MOSFETs and JFETs have the capacity to become diodes when connected in such a manner as to make them function like diodes.  :wink:
I built Joe Davisson's Amber Boost several years ago and it used 2N7000s as clipping diodes. It sounded pretty good!