Best Pot for Volume Pedal

Started by Matteran, February 10, 2005, 06:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteran

What's the best pot for a volume pedal that will mount onto a cry baby type mount? I'm assuming an Audio Taper, large size. I have the 250k HotPot for a wah, but because i don't have all the parts yet for making my wah, i was just going to make a volume pedal. So, i could use that pot for a reference regarding the size that i need. But what resistance should it be? 100k?

Paul Marossy

I would use a 1 megohm pot. You might be able to get away with 500K, but you may notice a little loss of your highs. In any case, they should be audio taper pots - a linear pot will seem very abrupt.

Outlaws

Quote from: Paul MarossyI would use a 1 megohm pot. You might be able to get away with 500K, but you may notice a little loss of your highs. In any case, they should be audio taper pots - a linear pot will seem very abrupt.

Well thats odd.  If you noticed my thread on this I have a 500k audio and it is very abrupt.  I am going to swap it for a linear and see if that solves my problem.  But its odd because I know I saw a LP for sale that said "audio taper pots"...anyways, I am confused beyond belief.

Paul Marossy

Are you sure it's an audio taper pot? It shouldn't be abrupt with an audio taper pot, but rather, it should work like you would expect a volume control to work - gradually. Maybe you got a mislabled pot or something?  :?

Outlaws

Quote from: Paul MarossyAre you sure it's an audio taper pot? It shouldn't be abrupt with an audio taper pot, but rather, it should work like you would expect a volume control to work - gradually. Maybe you got a mislabled pot or something?  :?

Here is the back of the pot.

@
ALPHA
3F3 A500K

Paul Marossy

I hear what you're saying, but that doesn't mean it's really an audio pot. It could conceivably have the wrong guts in it.

Do you have a few verified audio pots lyin' around? You could do some A/B tests with it. Also, if it were really a linear pot  and if you were to measure the resistance at midway, you should measure 50% when the knob is at the mid point. If it's not 50%, then it's an audio pot and it could just be due to the mechanics of the CryBaby shell - it may just turn the pot too fast compared to say an Ernie Ball volume pedal. There is quite a bit of difference in the amount of travel between the two. The more I think about it, the more likely that is your real problem IMO.

Outlaws

Quote from: Paul MarossyI hear what you're saying, but that doesn't mean it's really an audio pot. It could conceivably have the wrong guts in it.

Do you have a few verified audio pots lyin' around? You could do some A/B tests with it. Also, if it were really a linear pot  and if you were to measure the resistance at midway, you should measure 50% when the knob is at the mid point. If it's not 50%, then it's an audio pot and it could just be due to the mechanics of the CryBaby shell - it may just turn the pot too fast compared to say an Ernie Ball volume pedal. There is quite a bit of difference in the amount of travel between the two. The more I think about it, the more likely that is your real problem IMO.

Well, mine isn't in a crybaby shell.  Mine is just sitting by itself in the open.  I haven't even soldered anything yet.  When I do its going into a box with a knob for control.

I am posting the rest of my problem in my thread.

Paul Marossy

Oh sorry, got you confused with the original poster.  :oops:

I hope you get it figured out, because something sounds kinda strange.  I built a "volume box" myself. It's on my pedal board serving as an attenuator... 8)