Stompbox Cookbook?

Started by Banjotaz, February 10, 2005, 09:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjotaz

I was wondering who has this book and who can tell me what kind of stuff is in it?  I have Craig Anderton's Electronic projects for guitarists- is it much different than this?     Anyone know who might be selling one?

Rodgre

I have it, as well as one of his "stompboxology" supplements on Tremolo/Vibrato.

The book is FULL of really well-developed and unique circuits. It's meant for a pretty advanced builder, unlike Anderton's circuits, which are made to be easy to make. I have had the book since I first saw the ad for it in the back of Guitar Player, and I honestly have never built anything out of it. I get intimidated by it.

Lots of different distortions, tremolos, vibratos, compressors, etc. Many different variations.

Roger

B Tremblay

I also own the book and Roger's response pretty much nails it.  There's a ton of information, with great 'scope photos to illustrate the effects, but I've never even contemplated building the projects.

I understoood very little of it when I first read it.  Every so often, I go back and can grasp a bit more.  It's pretty dense stuff.

If nothing else, the book teaches you the value of this forum!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

aremesnik

I have this book, I love it!! I have read and used it so much that the spine was damaged and i had to 3 hole punch the damn thing so that I could keep all the pages. This book is out of print and a number of schematics require SSM2120 ic's, which are out of production. another draw back to this book is it is meant to be used with the PCB layouts in it. the section on delay effects and reverb is a little to light for me, but the Distortion chaper more then makes up for it.

NOT FOR NOVICES.

if you can't read schematics and are not willing to study, not read, study, then stick to Schematics on the web like the Mutron III, Dr. Quack, or the Omnidrive. However if you would like to design effects from the ground up
and can layout on perfboard (some of the PCB wont work cause of the lack of ssm2120) complex circuts, then you'll like this book. This has to be my favorate electronic book. I have not found another one like it and am hopeing that they release a Third addition.

Adam Remesnik

JasCasper

QuoteNOT FOR NOVICES.

if you can't read schematics and are not willing to study, not read, study, then stick to Schematics on the web like the Mutron III, Dr. Quack, or the Omnidrive. However if you would like to design effects from the ground up
and can layout on perfboard (some of the PCB wont work cause of the lack of ssm2120) complex circuts, then you'll like this book.

Are you saying this in relation to Rodgre and B Tremblay? I'm sure these guys can understand and build a lot more than you seem to be giving them credit for. They are anything but novices. You've misunderstood what their point was.

moosapotamus

I didn't interpret Adam's comment as directed at anyone in particular. In general, I would also only recommend this book to folks who are willing to roll up their sleeves and spend some time working on educating themselves.

I've built one of the Distort-O-Matics. I like it. It's cool.

I agree with most of the other comments. The cookbook theory stuff is great. The documentation for the projects is nicely done, too. But, I have to say that the majority of the projects seem to be very component heavy, and perhaps a bit more complex than they really need to be. I would still like to try that (pseudo) magnatone vibrato circuit, tho.  :wink:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

aremesnik

I do not mean any disrespect to any one. I am only trying to point novices to books other then this one. As a previous post pointed out the book can be intimidating. besides I am a strong proponate of Simple is Better, and have found that I like some simple boxes, like Lava Rim, or Dr. Quack to sound better than some more complex designs that i have built.

trust me this is a great book, but if you just want a book of schematics/projects to copy, this is not a very good guide. but if you want to learn how to design some awesome pedal, this book is full of gems.

adam remesnik

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum Adam and JasCasper. :D 8)

I didn't interpret Adam's comment as directed at anyone in particular either.... just good advice in general which is what makes this place so great! :D

I sure wish somebody could find out what happened to Nicholas Boscorelli. I spent several hours on it and one member here even went by the address outside Denver that I was able to find. No dice. :(

In relation to knowledge levels.... we're all always learning! :D (at least I hope so :o)

You really know something when you understand that you know nothing. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

David

Quote from: aremesnikI do not mean any disrespect to any one. I am only trying to point novices to books other then this one. As a previous post pointed out the book can be intimidating. besides I am a strong proponate of Simple is Better, and have found that I like some simple boxes, like Lava Rim, or Dr. Quack to sound better than some more complex designs that i have built.

trust me this is a great book, but if you just want a book of schematics/projects to copy, this is not a very good guide. but if you want to learn how to design some awesome pedal, this book is full of gems.

adam remesnik

Unfortunately, the use of this book is pretty much a moot point unless you already have one or one comes up for sale.  This thing is evidently as rare as hen's teeth!  I have standing requests with three libraries to borrow it if they can locate it.  I've been waiting two years...

aremesnik

Try the Library of congress, if you can get permission from publisher, they will reproduce it for you for a small fee.

amz-fx

Quote from: aremesnikTry the Library of congress, if you can get permission from publisher, they will reproduce it for you for a small fee.
If we could find the publisher, I would reprint the book and pay the author royalties so everyone could get a copy.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for the author with no success.

regards, Jack

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Jack, I AM NOT A LAWYER but... a number of years ago I heard that if "reasonable steps" were taken to find the copyright holder of a book, it could be reprinted without permission, provided the reprinter wa willing to pay a "reasonable" royalty if & when the copyright holder turned up.
Now whether this is in fact true, I can't say. I couldn't find it on the urban legends site, anyhow.

I have a copy, and I agree that while the comments and analysis are very good (aproximately of the level of the geofex 'technology of.. material) the circuits ARE 'overengineered', at the opposite direction of the early EH stuff (which usually contains 'almost' enough parts).

Again, I say that almost everything in the Stompbox Cookbook can be found on the web, BUT only with a hell of a lot of searching.
My life would be pretty much the same if I hadn't read it, but I enjoyed doing so, very much.

amz-fx

I'm fairly certain that does not apply in the USA.

I looked in the US Library of Congress index and there are no authors named Boscorelli and no books with the ISBN 0-9663824-1-2

I did an ISBN search = 0 results (other than links to Amazon)

I looked in the US Social Security death index and no one named Boscorelli has ever  died in the USA, according to the online records...  Elvis is in there but not Nick Boscorelli  :D

regards, Jack

R.G.

I'm all but certain (as in - the judge bangs his gavel sure) that it does not apply in the USA.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

troubledtom

how much is it worth to someone?  it's not the holygrail .
         - tt

amz-fx

Quoteit's not the holygrail
I do not see where anyone has suggested that it is.  In fact, for the majority of the visitors to this forum, it would be of little use.  Many of the projects are overly complex for what they do, tone shaping is not optimized and most of the boards would be difficult to fit in the typical Hammond box.

On the other hand, there is a wealth of advanced design information unlike the material seen online. To the advanced hobby builder or a commercial pedal designer, the book could be a valuable resource and it is a shame that it is not available to those who could put it to use. :)

regards, Jack

troubledtom

jack!!!! :D
    the point is well taken on all points. the design info is good . but you ,
hammerman, frosty, r.g. as well as others could write something as good :wink:
      peace and good health,
                   - tom

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Jack, I AM NOT A LAWYER but... a number of years ago I heard that if "reasonable steps" were taken to find the copyright holder of a book, it could be reprinted without permission, provided the reprinter wa willing to pay a "reasonable" royalty if & when the copyright holder turned up.
Now whether this is in fact true, I can't say. I couldn't find it on the urban legends site, anyhow.

On the other hand, if no one can find the author, and no one can find the publisher, if someone were to reprint it, who would bring a suit in the first place?

puretube

the ethical committee...

puretube

Quote from: troubledtomhow much is it worth to someone?  it's not the holygrail .
         - tt

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:423FVTyPwmcJ:facultyofphysics.com/0966382412.html+ISBN+0966382412&hl=de