Can an opamp get half-fried?

Started by Halion, February 10, 2005, 11:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halion

I just finished and boxed up my Phase 90. I made some mistakes and got some wierd sounds out of it before I got it to work right. Now it clips a bit, quite a bit actually. It doesn't sound bad at all, so I'm not even gonna check where it is clipping, but could it be that one of the opamps (3 x TL072) if somewhat fried and therefor clipping?

On a side note, I'm very happy with it! I'll post a buildreport WITH sound clips in a few days :)

The box also worked out pretty well. Worked first time in the box. I sprayed it metallic blue, but when I left it outside to dry, it started raining. I took it in, and noticed the entire paint layer got a somewhat smudgy, and since I had already touched it, it looked like crap. Untill I figured out I could kneed the stuff :) so now it looks like it survived eleven nuclear blasts. Looks great! I know, story is kinda vage, but you'll understand when you see it.

toneman

i prefer my opamps scrambled.
my martinis....shaken, not stirred.
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

David

Quote from: tonemani prefer my opamps scrambled.
my martinis....shaken, not stirred.

I say, Mr. Bond!  Isn't that Jaws biting through the wall?

petemoore

Quote from: HalionI just finished and boxed up my Phase 90. I made some mistakes and got some wierd sounds out of it before I got it to work right. Now it clips a bit, quite a bit actually. It doesn't sound bad at all, so I'm not even gonna check where it is clipping, but could it be that one of the opamps (3 x TL072) if somewhat fried and therefor clipping?
 Best or only check I use is the other chip, or replacing chips with known good ones. I dont' think it should clip with a guitar pickup as signal source. Take Voltages ?
On a side note, I'm very happy with it! I'll post a buildreport WITH sound clips in a few days :)

The box also worked out pretty well. Worked first time in the box. I sprayed it metallic blue, but when I left it outside to dry, it started raining. I took it in, and noticed the entire paint layer got a somewhat smudgy, and since I had already touched it, it looked like crap. Untill I figured out I could kneed the stuff :) so now it looks like it survived eleven nuclear blasts. Looks great! I know, story is kinda vage, but you'll understand when you see it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stephenMF

i'm not totally sure if this is what you're talking about, but I had a dual opamp in a morley wah pedal and one 'side' got fried, while the other still worked.

Halion

Well, all I really know is that I hear clipping, I just wondered if it could be one of the opamps. They are not completely fried because appart from the clipping, it works fine.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It is certainly POSSIBLE for an op amp to be part fried (especially protective diodes on the inputs) but, it isn't nearly as common as complete failure.
maybe an audio probe can show where the clipping occurs & then replacing the suspect op amp will tell all.