Telefunken AC123 PNPGermanium...Anyone used them?

Started by analog kid, February 23, 2005, 01:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analog kid

I was wondering if anyone has ever used or heard of the AC123 PNP being used in FUZZ Circuits?? I had an oppurtunity to pick some up for $1 ea. and from what I could find they seemed to be similar to the AC128 (these are the one's with the Heatsink on the casing marked Telefunken.
I won't know until I get them what kind of gains they have but I thought there was some experience with them here. and the type of Frequency response they have. ? I couldn't imagine they'd be a waste of $$ or be a bad choice (IF the gains are selected properly!)
thanks for any advice
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

analog kid

This is what I was afraid of! Noone has heard of anyone using these in place of the more popular part #'s huh?  I thought it would be a good possible match , as they do "cross" with the NTE102A (AS SO MANY DO though!!, so I don't know how much that may actually mean?)
Also I have heard that alot of the , bad Frequency response.. harsh soudning rumors about New Market transistors talk being ,,, JUST THAT... Talk! that it's not anymore true than with any of the OLD models from part to part. HOWEVER I have seen some  OC81's for sale that are so=called Newmarket. They are marked OC81 / 5172  .. I know that the OC81D is known as THE germanium Holy Grail, so I was just curious if these might be worth taking a chance on?? I think they were like about $20 for 4 pieces.   BUT I was thrown a bit becasue of the lack of the "affixed D " on the part #.
Anyone ??
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

bwanasonic

The best way to find out is to try them in a Fuzz Face!

:idea:

Kerry M

analog kid

I know, It's just nice to get an idea <when other's have experience> the reputation of some different part # transistors as there are so many that are close to being alike in the AC, OC, 2N families and you ONLY hear of a few that people mention the most. I just wonder if that doesn't at all mean that MANY other AC's ,etc... may work just as well as the norm or most common used??  Plus you never know what you're getting even when you think you do with alot dealers. I bought some RAYTHEON's off ebay that were supposed to be GREAT in a Fuzz , even came with schematics with bunch of f.f. variations stating just how good they worked with each.   I went to test them and got gains of 550hfe all the way up close to 700!! Yeah , I BET those sound good in there!

MartyMart

If you read some of the "Ge Trannies" posts you'll understand how hard it is to get "great" AC128's or whatever, even most old Fuzz Faces sounded crap because of the differences in trannies.
Spending "lots" of bucks on them wont guarantee anything !!
Lots of people get "stung" on Ebay from buying batches, which no doubt have all the best "pairs" taken out already  !!!!
Best advice :
Buy "Matched" sets from  Steve at smallbear or Olaf at Banzai effects, then you "know" its going to sound "right"
Otherwise buy 2000 cheap and Hfe check all of them  !!!!!

Cheers,
Marty. 8)

EDIT: I didn't want that rant to sound "harsh" on you, just dont want to see you waste any money that could be better used on your "builds" :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com