Newbie Here...Is There A Generic Parts List?

Started by vich, February 10, 2005, 12:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vich

Hi all,

I've never built a pedal, although I have modified one.  I would soon like to dive into the world of DIY stopmboxes.  I've been snooping around various sites and reading some of the begginers stuff, various effect projectes and so forth.  I've noticed that nearly all projects have an associated parts list that covers the resistors, capacitors, transistors, etc. - the parts unique to that particular project.  I'm looking for a generic parts lists (with part numbers) that covers everything else you need - the input/output jacks, pots, knobs, wire, battery clips, DC jacks that mount to the PC board, boxes, switches, etc.

Is there such a detailed list that basically every stompbox project will require?  I would love to get my hands on one, because I don't know enough about parts to have a clue when I'm looking for, say the appropriate PC board mountable DC jack on Mouser's website.  There may be one out there that I just haven't found.  Such a list would be MOST helpful to greener-than-green newbies like myself.

Please help!  Thanks folks!

Mark Hammer

I've suggested to Steve Daniels in past that some sort of beginners' package might be a good item for Small Bear to sell.  Essentially, an assortment of common parts directed at pedal-builders (chips, trannies, sockets, LEDs, battery snaps, pots, knobs, passive components, jacks, pad-per-hole boards, a stompswitch or two, etc).  While not the sort of guy to turn down something like that, Steve is nevertheless frequently swamped in business-related things that make it hard for him to set aside time to put together such "variety packs".

On the other hand, the last time I mentioned it, there were fewer subscribers of the newbie variety than there are now, and Steve had an order system that required more work on his part. Perhaps now is a good time to raise the possibility once more.  That doesn't mean it will necessarily be actionable YET, but it doesn't hurt to remind that when it DOES become feasible, there will be a ready and waiting market.

RDV

The projects @ General Guitar Gadgets have a complete parts list including jacks etc. All parts on their site can be had at Small Bear.

RDV

jimbob

Here at aron site theres a few lists with the part numbers that come in handy. I still refer back to those every now and then. Its at "home" and then "purchase parts." After that theres a few lists around and they really help esp the the mouser ect.. numbers. Also, anything here at Arons site for parts- all common to most projects round here. Esp 3pdt, transistors. Great prices too. RDV has an AWSOME deal on caps! Find that under the section " for sale, trade"

good luck!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"