Suggestions for removing a layer of paint...

Started by NaBo, February 11, 2005, 12:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaBo

Ok!  So here's the deal!

I bought a few ammo cans from a surplus store to mount effects in, but for some silly reason, there's a swash of paint over the cool writing on one side.  I think I'd kind of enjoy the coolness of having "220 Cartridges, 7.62MM, 4 Ball, 1 Tracer, etc." on the bottom of my boxes, so I'd like to remove that swash of paint without killing or scratching up the writing too much.  Any suggestions?  The best idea i've come up with myself would be to use a bit of diluted paint thinner on a cloth under running water or something... but im sure there's probably someone here that can suggest something better.

Little help please?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Everything depends on what the top and bottom layers of paint are.
I have had success at times by scraping off top layers of paint usign a razor blade at right angles to the paint, but you need to be incredibly cautious & steady handed.
I don't recommend methyl chloride based paint remover for this, it will likely go thru everything at once.

cockney-steve

try cheap cellulose thinner(also sold as " gunwash"  no,silly - SPRAYguns!  
put it on with a paintbrush, small area at a time. If you're lucky,the newer paint will"pickle and lift ,brush away quickly to minimise attack on the older layers keep spotting in the stubborn bits with the thinners brush. work in good ventilation-you can get high /dizzy /sick on the fumes and a stonking headache the following day! if you are REALLY lucky, the original finish will be stoved enamel,the slop coat will be oil-based paint and will strip back cleanly. at worse, you'll have a nice shiny steel box how about varnishing the bare steel.

NaBo

Oh jeez, i probably should've mentioned that... yes, the bottom layer is definitely baked enamel... it's been on there i'd guess at least 40 years (uh, whenever the US army stopped using the 30 cal...) and doen't have a single chip or scratch to speak of... nice and smooth, looks great.  the "slop coat", a name befitting of it's hideous appearance, looks like it might even be latex.  so im pretty sure whatever i throw at it, the bottom layer will endure much better than the top...  it's just a matter of what will leave the bottom coat looking best

toneman

try rubbing compound for the top layer.
it will probably leave the bottom, baked enamel alone.
Use a soft rag like a cotton Tshirt.
Use a coarse compound at first.
Try small areas at first.
Goto a finer, "rouge type" polishing compound for final surfacing.
staylayered
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Nasse

If the paint you want to remove is latex or some water based stuff some water with small amount of NH3 (some normal stuff used for cleaning)
  • SUPPORTER