Biasing a low voltage Mu Amp [?]

Started by petemoore, February 11, 2005, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

With the success of 1.5v-3v operation of a couple of gain stages, thanks to Jack Ormans new AMZ article, I'm curious to find out about trying this with a Mu Amp, reasons why I shouldn't be, or just to try it.
 Anyone with suggestions as to biasing a Mu Amp to a Low Voltage supply are welcomed !!1
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Tim Escobedo

The way I do them, they work at low voltage.

amz-fx

QuoteI'm curious to find out about trying this with a Mu Amp, reasons why I shouldn't be, or just to try it.
Just crank back on the voltage to the  mini-booster...  it will work down to quite low voltages and is self biasing to some degree.  The only change is that the source resistor should be decreased to about 100 - 150 ohms.

regards, Jack

R.G.

The mu-amp - or its more useful version, the SRPP - works to low voltages *if* you build it with a low Vp JFET. The J201 qualifies, so most of the J201 versions work. But don't expect a MPF102 version to work from 1.5V.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

puretube

Alpha579

Quote from: R.G.The mu-amp - or its more useful version, the SRPP - works to low voltages *if* you build it with a low Vp JFET. The J201 qualifies, so most of the J201 versions work. But don't expect a MPF102 version to work from 1.5V.

sorry RG, but whats the SRPP?
Alex Fiddes

puretube