tonepad smallstone and that nasty 'tick tick'

Started by tadas, February 11, 2005, 05:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tadas

Does anyone have any ideas how to remove it ?.. I've tried searching this forum but had no luck. Someone mentioned to use 10uF cap for Ca instead of 0.1uF but it doesnt help  :(

Thanks for any ideas...

mathflan

HI,

I built the smallstone from tonepad too.

TO remove the TICK, PUT 10uF 100v non-polarized electrolytic for "Ca".

I did this and It had removed the TICK sound...

Bye
-----------------------------------
http://sounddiy.free.fr

bassmeister

I'm building it too right now. I have the same problem, and it's most apparent at high rates. I wasn't able to remove it either by changing Ca to a higher value. What it did change was the maximum available LFO rate. This was lowered. Any other ideas?

mathflan

Are yous sure that you try 10uF 100v non-polarized electrolytic for "Ca".
http://sounddiy.free.fr

tadas

Quote from: mathflanAre yous sure that you try 10uF 100v non-polarized electrolytic for "Ca".

Yes, I'm sure. Anyway.. I gues I'll try a bit different phaser design here.

PS: I'm new here. Hello. Nice forum. Lot's of goodies :)~~~~

Vsat

Part of the reason can be a CA3080 or CA3094 that has marginal offset specs. Swapping out the allpass OTA's one at a time (did you use sockets?) might uncover the marginal unit. All OTA's suffer from this problem to a greater or lesser degree... also LM13600, LM13700, NE5517, CA3280 and others. The datasheet spec which is most important is "variation in offset voltage with Iabc"... and individual chips taken from the same tube (or bag) vary quite a bit from one to the other. The usual symptom is "CV-thump" or "LFO-thump" or "AGC-thump".
Regards, Mike

bassmeister

To me, it doesn't make a difference wether I use polarized or not. I did notice, however, that I got an additional click with no Ca at all. This click sounds just like a power supply spike, though it's not since it's reoccuring periodically. So maybe, we're not having the same problem. Mine sounds more like a helicopter at fast rates. The problem decreases when I play. It also doesn't exist at low rates.

I also managed to destroy the LFO, so now the thing isn't phasing at all. It's just a volume drop pedal...  :evil:

So, the next thing I'll try is some new OTA:s. Have to get some sockets to, I guess...  :D. And also, take precautions against ESD.

gez

Were any wires from the LFO touching/going near PCB traces used for audio?  If so, reroute them/use screened cable.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

like Vsat stated: it can be CV bleedthrough "thump",
or it can be Mark Hammer-cureable LFO-tix,
or gez`s/my medication...

seems to be epidemic in phasers/tremoloes
:cry: