Testing before final assembly

Started by Outlaws, February 11, 2005, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

I know a lot of your use breadboards, but some of us don't have them (yet) and still want to build.  Whats everyones method of testing before putting it in the final box?

I find that its so fragile (imo) that I hate wiring it before I have everything screwed down (pots, in/out, dpdt, etc) in the box.

JimRayden

I put it all on the perfboard, cross my fingers and hope for the best. I think it's pretty simple to do changes on a perfboard.

I think it feels fragile too. But i do my testing like that.

Actually i buy pcb-mounting pots and hard-wire them on the test the projects I'm not planning to put into an enclosure. i just want to hear them.

-----------
Jimbo

Marek

petemoore

Tha's a nice test table there !!!
 Having jacks in a box, with testclip wires for in/out and Gnds. is a godsend for me...
 heavy box has jacks, light [non-conductive] box on top cut like a tray to hold Cct to be tested, potholes drilled in the cardboard..for punch in potholding...also keeps the circuit and wires straighter...be sure to use the rubber insulated alligator clips to hook Cct to jacks.
 Soon's I get the board 'n pots 'n battery clip ready, and maybe to a part count check [no silly switches or jacks for this stage: Initial testing], I'm 20 seconds away from testing in the testjig.
 Cheep, EZ, Timesaver...
 I LIKE working without switches "n jacks until initial testing is complete [when the circuit works]. With a Cct I know worked I'ts easier to wire the 'peripherals'. Debugging and fixing is easier without jacks switches 'n their wires. it's well worth the trouble to initial test, the ganglyness of the added mess of wiring in the 'wrapper' makes the circuit more likely to damage itself, and looking for the problem in a fraction of the total area for problems to occur saves time.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.