Torchy's Tube Screamer help please

Started by tungngruv, February 11, 2005, 09:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

I built Torchy's stripboard tube screamer and I'm having a problem. First off, it "works" but no volume meaning I can hear the volumme, tone and gain increasing and decreasing with the knobs turned but it's mostly just hissing. Wires are just long enough to reach the pots. I did put in a DPDT switch to switch between a 1n914 and a 1n4001 ( replacing D3, wires to the inside lugs and diodes on the two outside lugs, oriented correctly). Here are the voltages off the op amp. PLEASE HELP and thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!

1 - 4.17
2 - 4.24
3 - 4.19
4 - 0.00
5 - 4.03
6 - 3.08
7 - 1.35
8 - 8.60

tungngruv

OK, I rechecked everything for the 3rd time, made sure (scraped) no traces or parts were touching and tried again. This is weird. It does work but it's noisy and there is a pretty good volume drop when on. All controls work great though! I checked other posts on pin voltages and I'm thinking they are ok also. Maybe there might be a problem with Q1 and Q2, I used a couple 2n3904's I had spare from another project and I've seen those, 2n5088's (?) etc... on other parts lists. I also did not socket these like a D.A. I'm pretty sure they aren't fried as I'm getting to be pretty good at soldering. To sum it up, it sounds like a mis biased fuzz face, sputtering and all. Any ideas??

R.G.

There's a sticky topic titled "What to do when it doesn't work"
Can you give us the requested info?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

tungngruv

Thanks R.G., I checked the thread and I guess it does make a difference if you have Q1 & 2 backwards. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. BTW, I think you should have a pedal "award" for the guy who makes the most of these mistakes. I'd have at least 3 pedal boards full by now!! Thanks again R.G. and Torchy, your strip board layout is easy and my new 808 clone sounds killer!!! Thanks again

MartyMart

Glad to see you got it working !
Nice circuit isn't it ?
I changed the feedback resistors to a 2k7 and 20k ( from 4k7/51k)
Gets quite "Full on" with those values ....!

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

tungngruv

Yes Marty Mart, it is a great sounding pedal. I'm using it with the gain on about 10:, the tone about 1:00 and the volume on 2:00, slamming the front end of a 1979 Marshall Mk2 Lead w/EL34's. Full sounding is an understatement!!!! :lol: Thanks for your hard work!!!

tungngruv

If you keep coming up with those cool layouts, you better!! Thanks Torchy, always wanted a 808 Tube Screamer!!!! Now get down in your basement and finish up that AMZ OD Pro!!!!!  :lol:

Ge_Whiz

Messrs. Gruv and Mart

Now you have your 808 clones running to your evident satisfaction, please tell: what opamps are you using?

tungngruv

I know people here will hate me for saying this but....... I'm lucky enough to have a pretty good job so I bought a couple Malaysian 4558's off Ebay for 5.00 each. I also have a couple 4558DD's from an old Boss flanger that do sound (to me) better than some of the newer 4558's. I'm not trying to start some debate because the sound is only slightly different, but it's there (once again, to me). Besides, what's 10.00 really??? :lol:

MartyMart

Quote from: Ge_WhizMessrs. Gruv and Mart

Now you have your 808 clones running to your evident satisfaction, please tell: what opamps are you using?

Jury's still out on that one !
I like the NE5532ap a lot, but have a RC4558p from small bear in at the moment . . . . . . just for "Authenticity"  !

Marty. :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

cab42

I'm about to embark on the TS808, and I bought a RC4558 from Texas Instruments, but have thought of trying some others.

You can find some inspiration in this thread in FAQ subforum:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=29366&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

A question: I could'nt get the original transistors and bought 2N3904 instead (as suggested at GGG). Any idea how this affects the sound.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn