Quintessential Dist/OD box?

Started by vich, February 14, 2005, 11:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vich

If you had to pick a must-have distortion/OD box to complement an 808-modded TS, what would it be?

Absolute newbie to the world of DIY stompbox construction, but I'd very much like to give it a whirl.  I'm looking to build the perfect distortion/overdrive for my needs.  I play a Strat or Les Paul through a Dr. Z MAZ Jr head and a Z-Best 2x12 cab.  I run the amp quite clean and use pedals to push it.

I currently have:
1) an 808 modded Tube Sreamer.  I love it, but I'd like something similar without the mid boost.  It seems to cut off lower and higher frequencies.

2) a Bad Bob clean boost.  Great for major clean gain.  I put this between the guitar and the TS808 to push the TS into a wonderful place.  Bad Bob is a bit treble heavy, but it's very useful.

3) Maxon compressor for more gain on solos & general compression needs

I am looking for the perfect dist/OD pedal that functions much like the TS but without the mid hump and low end high end cut.  Primary use with be for crunchy-ish rhythm or maybe leads if there is enough gain on the thing.

What project do you recommend?  Thanks!  -Vic

MartyMart

Well thats a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"
Every guitarist will tell you what he/she prefers and it all comes down to "your own" personal taste/needs !
But..... without avoiding the question altogether, here's a few ideas from my personal tastes.

"Marshall Blues-breaker"  -- good choice and different enough from your "TS" sound, for "blues" and some lead work.

"Rat" or "Big Muff" for a "thicker" slightly "Fuzzy" tone.

"BSIAB II"  for a great "High Gain" marshall stack tone.

"Easy Drive" - again "high gain" and as the name suggests "Easy" to build!!

"ROG PepperMill" for a nice "Fender" type boost/drive

How's that for starters ?

Cheers,
Marty :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Marek

Which car is the best?  :-)

There are soo many sites with mp3 samples of commercial and DIY effects, just go ahead and google for:

"overdrive sample mp3" or "distortion listen mp3 clip",

preferably with addition of

"site:jp"

'cos Japanese like to show their equipment and very often they add a few guitar licks...

I know it's not much of a help, but you actually asked:
I'm looking to build the perfect distortion/overdrive for my needs.

I hope that a good marketing person/consumer behaviour analyst around here will be able to give you a more precise answer.

Greetings,
Marek

Marcos - Munky

Transistor Obsidian and BSIAB2.

petemoore

I noticed the same things like you did, your description of how you use those pedals sounds like what I 'find', 'run into', or try to 'get around'.
 Each one's diffferent, and works differently with the 'other'...
 The good news for New DIY'er is that you're nearly certain to be able to find something you like, to get 'that' sound through *Your Rig, if not you'll probably try something else. Wait. The good news is that these things can be modded and tailored to 'suit' your equipment.
 I don't know your amp by name, sounds like you're describing a tube amp so I'll just type...
 Since you don't have a DIST+, or a FUZZ FACE, and you're adding boost to your TS...
 Start with a 1 stage booster..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.