tone switch, help needed with cap values

Started by mattdowney, February 14, 2005, 01:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattdowney

hey, i am building a NPN boost pedal from the begginer fourm. i want to add a 3 way on,on,on mini switch to do some tone change. i am pretty sure that if i increase the value on the imput cap i will get a more low end sound and if i lower he value of the imput cap i will get more high end. i want a 3 way switch to toggle between 3 imput caps. one .1uf (the value recomended in the project) and one of higher value and one of lower value. can anyone recomend cap values to use?

thanks, matt

lethargytartare

If I was in the mood to experiment, I'd wire it with three sockets, and test out all the different caps I had lying around and see what I liked.  You might like small shifts within a small range, or you might like to have two extremes and a "middle" value, or two middle-ish ones and a very small or very large one...etc.

mattdowney

Quote from: lethargytartareYou might like small shifts within a small range, or you might like to have two extremes and a "middle" value, or two middle-ish ones and a very small or very large one...etc.

thats what i planned to do, .1uf is the cap recomended for the pedal so that will be my middle position. on the other 2 positions i want to have a cap of higher value and a cap of lower value. what value caps should i use? i dont want a huge difference in sound, but it needs to be noticeable.

thanks, matt

Outlaws

Quote from: mattdowney
Quote from: lethargytartareYou might like small shifts within a small range, or you might like to have two extremes and a "middle" value, or two middle-ish ones and a very small or very large one...etc.

thats what i planned to do, .1uf is the cap recomended for the pedal so that will be my middle position. on the other 2 positions i want to have a cap of higher value and a cap of lower value. what value caps should i use? i dont want a huge difference in sound, but it needs to be noticeable.

thanks, matt

With al the knowledge on this board, I am sure someone knows the exact answer, but I think this is where the breadboard comes into play.   :lol:

Though look who's talking...I still haven't invested in one yet even.  But this does make me want to.

Good idea.  That would be a useful feature to almost any pedal IMO.

strungout

Oy.

Well, everyone and their mother could suggest cap values, but since it's about personal taste...

I'd go with sockets and test it out to see what value is dramatic enough a change, but not too much.

Ciao.

BUT: .47uF, 0.047uF  8)
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".