adding a tube to a standard stompbox?

Started by onusx, February 14, 2005, 04:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onusx

just wondering when/where this is possible and what the general reasons and effects of it would be. as i understand it a stompbox is a little preamp, and people typically like the tube warmth in a lot of situations. is the main reason people don't put tubes in more stompboxes just the added cost? would a tube-driven tremolo or phaser add a lot of character and dynamics to the sound? would it be easy to combine a couple of effects (say two different distortion circuits) in one box and add a tube or two and have yourself a little tube preamp you could run to a poweramp? if so, where would you put the tubes and why?

clearly i'm ignorant about these design issues and the basics of how the parts in a circuit interact, but i'm trying to understand this a little better. i'm just wondering why so many people prefer to run different boxes through a pretty static amp, instead of having a simpler power amp and building entirely different preamps to shape tone?

william

Most tube designs require upwards of 200 volts to operate properly, while most stompboxes provide only 9 volts.  There are a few designs that use a starved plate design but still require a wall adaptor.  There are tube wahs, tube tremolo, and so on.  Puretube knows more about tubes in effect pedals than most people here.

Alpha579

you could try a preamp using low voltage tubes...slajuene has done great work with the 12v sopht amp //www.sopht.ca...just omit the power tube and transformer....
Alex Fiddes

R.G.

Have you looked at the pictoral essay on adding tubes to effects boxes at GEO?? It's the only way to get real tube sound in a stomp box.
http://geofex.com/FX_images/realtube.jpg
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

onusx

petemoore

I was checkin' out some pedals by Pete Cornish, and reading how they have tube buffers for input and output on each effect...tha'ts alot of trouble but Pete made it sound very desirable. Worth checking out...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

puretube

Quote from: R.G.Have you looked at the pictoral essay on adding tubes to effects boxes at GEO?? It's the only way to get real tube sound in a stomp box.
http://geofex.com/FX_images/realtube.jpg

is that a so-called: "one-shot" ?  ( :lol: )

(for: "hammer-ons" ?)