which DIY overdrive?

Started by whitewave, February 15, 2005, 04:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitewave

Hello to everyone,
this is my first post, I'm writing from Italy.
 I've just enetered the DIY Guitar fx world building an Orange Squeezer with a GGG PCB... and it works great!
I need a delay in my pedalboard, but I think they are too difficult to build as second project.  So I would like to get more tone from my THD Univalve.  Now I have only a TS9Dx, wich I'm going to mod to JRC4558d.

Now I'm using it more as a booster than an overdrive, only to get more saturation from my tubes.
 Fulltone has the FD2 and the OCD, and listeniung to thei samples they are great pedals, they allow to get from a clean trasparent light boost, to more distorted sound.

So, which overdrive could I build?

I was thinking to Blue Overdrive on GGG, or AMZ pro on Tonepad.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

MartyMart

Have a look over at the R.O.G site ( www.runoffgroove.com ) there are some great overdrive projects
"Tube Reamer"
"Peppermill"
"May Queen"
"Odie"   are all great overdrives !!

Cheers,
Marty.  8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

whitewave

Quote from: MartyMartHave a look over at the R.O.G site ( www.runoffgroove.com ) there are some great overdrive projects

Thanks.  I'm listening to his samples, but to tell the truth I can't judge an overdrive simply by listening to a direct recorded samples.  Overdrive is a tool for tube amps, I don't want a quite good sounding distortion with solid state or cab simulators, I want a transparent od with a good reserve of gain to play with valves.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

Marcos - Munky

Try the Transistor Obsidian.

MartyMart

Quote from: whitewave
Quote from: MartyMartHave a look over at the R.O.G site ( www.runoffgroove.com ) there are some great overdrive projects

Thanks.  I'm listening to his samples, but to tell the truth I can't judge an overdrive simply by listening to a direct recorded samples.  Overdrive is a tool for tube amps, I don't want a quite good sounding distortion with solid state or cab simulators, I want a transparent od with a good reserve of gain to play with valves.

"PepperMill" will do that for ya !
Or, try "Dragonfly's"  "Sparkle Boost"  - great for pushing a valve amp too !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

j0shua

Grace overdrive from runofgroove  is very cool and easy to build  :lol:

Paul Marossy

The Blue Magic will give you a nice sounding, mild overdrive. Is that what you mean by "Blue Overdrive"?

phillip

I love my Liquid Drive, especially when its input is being pushed by the modified Ross Compressor.

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/liquid.html
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/compressor.html

I play them through a Fender 100W "Evil Twin" Twin Amp with a Telecaster that has a couple of fairly hot Duncan pickups...those two pedals in series together have this awesome growl...I love it!

Hope this helps some!
Phillip

Outlaws

Quote from: whitewaveHello to everyone,
this is my first post, I'm writing from Italy.
 I've just enetered the DIY Guitar fx world building an Orange Squeezer with a GGG PCB... and it works great!
I need a delay in my pedalboard, but I think they are too difficult to build as second project.  So I would like to get more tone from my THD Univalve.  Now I have only a TS9Dx, wich I'm going to mod to JRC4558d.

Now I'm using it more as a booster than an overdrive, only to get more saturation from my tubes.
 Fulltone has the FD2 and the OCD, and listeniung to thei samples they are great pedals, they allow to get from a clean trasparent light boost, to more distorted sound.

So, which overdrive could I build?

I was thinking to Blue Overdrive on GGG, or AMZ pro on Tonepad.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

I actually own a Fulltone FatBoost and this is the pedal you are looking for IMO.  It pushes my ProJunior and SuperReverb into no-mans land.  Its a clean booster with a gain knob that doesn't really add "pedal distortion" until after the clean boost has, more or less, done its job.

Now why I am pushing the the Fulltone you ask?

Because I understand it is a rip off (lmfao) of a booster thats schematic was on the internet.  Do a search for the FatBoost and you will come across it I am sure.  Or someone else here will point out where it was jacked from.

Its a really great "overdrive" for tubes.

whitewave

Quote from: phillip
Hope this helps some!
Phillip

Yes, a lot.  Thanks.
But your site is full of virus and trojans!  My McAfee antivirus got crazy as soon as I opened it.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

whitewave

Quote from: Outlaws
I actually own a Fulltone FatBoost and this is the pedal you are looking for IMO.  

Yes, I think you understood my need.  Univalve is a class A amp, with a wonderful crunch, a quite distorted sound since I'm using Svetlana EL34, and two 12AX7 in the preamp section (by EH and JJ, but maybe I'm switching to 12AT7 in the driver section).
It's powerful, rich of armonics, ultra-dynamic (simply br striking on strings you get totally different distortions).
TS9 is useful to get a lead tone used as a booster, but I can't get an high gain sound.
I play Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stone Age and so on, not only blues!  And sometimes I need a powerful distorted sound.
From Fulltone, OCD samples really impressed me, but before spending 160 $ on an overdrive that maybe I can build build myself, I would like to hear suggestions from you.

Many doubts came from this topic. Maybe a "Brown Sound In A BoxII"?  But maybe it has too much gain for my power crunch.

Thanks.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

whitewave

Quote from: Paul MarossyThe Blue Magic will give you a nice sounding, mild overdrive. Is that what you mean by "Blue Overdrive"?

Yes. Excuse me.  Blue Magic seems to receive excellent reviews.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

phillip

Quote from: whitewave
Yes, a lot.  Thanks.
But your site is full of virus and trojans!  My McAfee antivirus got crazy as soon as I opened it.
No, it's not.  My site is hosted by Tripod, so anything like that is their fault.  Tripod uses a lot of javascripting to stick in their ads and such, so that's probably what McAfee was griping about.  My Norton Antivirus 2005 doesn't say anything about it.

I also use Javascript and DHTML to generate the navigation bar that appears near the top of the page right below the title image.  Not sure if McAfee doesn't like that.

I'm sure the others here who have visited Fuzz Central many times will attest that there are no viruses or trojans.

Phillip

Paul Marossy

I personally like the original BSIAB a lot. That's a bit heavier than the Blue Magic is, but not super heavy. Think Marshall 50 watt sound. Anyhow, you can tweak it to get a lot of different tones from it.

There's a PCB layout for it at my site if you decide to go with the original BSIAB. 8)

bigjonny

The BSIAB II has to be my favourite distortion pedal, production or DIY.  It just sounds so good!

The booster that the Fat Boost is derivative of is the Mini-Booster.

The BSIAB I & II are based on two cascaded Mini-Boosters.  Sweet.

Right here at this site, Aron has a 2 Mini-Booster based pedal, called the Booster 2.5.

Also, Tim Escobedo, lent his 2¢ to the Mini-Booster deravative with his SyRuPP.

COOL NOTE:
A quick look at Jack's site, also reveals that he is now selling his own Mini-Booster PCBs!

brett

Hi.
Wot about the Odie at runoffgroove.com ??
It is high gain and has very nice harmonics (being fet-based).
I mainly use a TS9 and Odie for low and high overdrive (respectively), and a fuzzface (Phillip's axis fuzz) and bosstone for fuzz and distortion.
For a delay, the Rebote 1 at Tonepad is simple and very effective.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

whitewave

Quote from: bigjonnyThe BSIAB II has to be my favourite distortion pedal, production or DIY.  It just sounds so good!

Thanks, you gave me many detailed infos.
I think I'll go with the Brown Sound in A Box, it should be perfect on my amp, at least I hope!.
Marco
www.whitewave.it

whitewave

Quote from: brett
For a delay, the Rebote 1 at Tonepad is simple and very effective.
cheers

Maybe it's a bit too difficult as second project.  I'm a newbie!
I made a compressor, I'm planning a distortion, and if everything goes right the third project will be a delay.
Aree there any sample of the rebote delay?
Marco
www.whitewave.it

Paul Marossy

QuoteI think I'll go with the Brown Sound in A Box

Original or number 2?  8)

Ge_Whiz

Peppermill. Next question?