Supasustain build/result info

Started by jimbob, February 15, 2005, 02:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I finished mine and after reading over some past info bout this one i thought id list my results for others benifit.

I perfed mine as it was an easy build. I dont think that makes any real difference. For the most part i went along with everything on the GGG site layout except i used 3 2n3904's and 1 5088. Both seemed to work well and didnt notice a difference. Ive read in many places that there was a coloring to this build and I agree - but in a good way. It seems to color in a way that adds to the uniqueness. I built my opto= led/ldr using the smallest ldr from the pack of radioshack assortmnt and a red led 3000mcd. I wrapped it up tite with some greenshrink wrap and went over it with a little electrical tape for good measure. I made sure o had the led/ldr part of it socketed just in case. One thing I did notice that might be cause for others "fuzz" or distortion" problem was when i had a leg of the led/ldr combo off /out of the socket. To my suprise it not only worked but also turned into a sort of noisey slightly compressed(if any) fuzz pedal.
You might want to double check when making your own build or even make a mod to switch between the 2 sounds if interested.
Id rate the over all sound as good/interesting= worth building. Compared to others builds I suppose i got lucky. I get a smooth compressed sound w tons of sustain that sounded great with reverb. Once I took my hand away from the guitar for bout 8 sec noise would sneak in and take over- so that was the down side to it. It did also sound great with distortion coloring slightly that sound as well but also in a good way.

I posted this in this way in case someone wants to look back and readily find something bout this build.

good luck
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jmusser

Jimbob, I have been thinking for awhile about doing a compressor/sustainer type circuit. I was wanting to know if you have heard the sound sample for the Walco Chord Note Sustainer? If so, how would you compare it to the Super Sustainer? The Walco unit really seems hard to beat from the sound sample. If you don't have a sound sample of it, E Mail me, and I'll send it to you for comparison. Thanks for posting what you found. That's why I do it, because lets people in on the build particulars and what to look for.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jimbob

I havnt heard the Walco yet. Id build it anyway if you have a schem/layout. Where would i hear this?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jmusser

I found the schematic and the write up off of it. Go to: http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25846  If the sound sample is not on that post, E Mail me, and I'll send you an attachment of it. RickL did it, and he tells about what transistors he substituted for the originals, and a couple other mods.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

jimbob

I really like the sound sample. I think i would do the Walco 1st. Ill eventually do that build as well. Its hard to say why its different except that it seems ALOT less noisey compared to the Supasustain.