Baking paint on a pedal?

Started by Outlaws, February 15, 2005, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

I have found some sites that say, prime, then paint, then bake for an hour at 175 degrees for a textured paint.  lol...I found that on this sites FAQ come to think of it...

But it doesn't say how long to wait after painting.

Obviously I need to wait for the primer to dry so I can sand it smooth, but what about the paint?

I got a can of Hammerite and a can of Rust-Oleum Hammered.

The Hammerite says I have to prime aluminum, but the Rust-Oleum doesn't say squat. -so I will probably prime that one too when I get to it.

For now I am using the Hammerite.

So do I wait for the pain't to dry to the touch?  Or wait a couple days?  I hear Hammerite doesn't like getting clearcoated for almost a week.

Also, one more question...

After baking will it be able to handle what a "normal" pedal can usually withstand?  Or should I cover it in a laquor to protect the actual paint job.

toneman

paint has 2 dry thru & thru.
baking in an oven will only "surface cure".
this is the old "Earl Shibe" technique.
If U use laquer, it dries fast.  Still, wait 24hrs.
Or,  a *real* , 2-part epoxy paint,
when it hardens, it hardens *all* the way thru.
Hope U R *not* baking these boxes in the oven in your house  :-(
bad idea.
Even primer takes time 2 dry.
I usually let primer dry for 3 or 4 days in the summertime.
Compatibility of your color coat & your clear topcoat is impt.
Otherwise U get a crinkly/cottage cheese-like reaction.
If U let this dry throughly(say a week) U might B able to clear over it.
Truely a *custom paint job*.
staydry(raining 2day)
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Outlaws

I am going to use an old toaster oven.

Is it okay to do it indoors?  Or just not in a oven that will be used for food?

smashinator

I would strongly suggest NOT baking your paint indoors.  Unless you and your S.O., pets, kids, plants LIKE the smell of baking paint.  Most don't, but it takes all types I suppose...
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Peter Snowberg

That's an OUTDOOR ONLY thing to do!

And only do it in a 2nd hand toaster oven that will never be used for food again!

Some paints have two mechanisms..... solvent evaporation, and curing. The solvent part is commonly referred to as drying. Sometimes it's enough to just let things dry, but sometimes you need more than that. It all depends on the paint chemistry and there are zillions of them.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Fret Wire

I use the Rust Oleum Hammered paint, and if the Hammerite is anything like it, don't bake it... period. After a day or two, a gentle warming (90 deg. f) will speed up the curing process. After it's cured, it will clearcoat fine. Use an acrylic or poly type clear. Btw, you don't even need 175 degrees with enamel.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

sir_modulus

ACK! don't heat the hammerite beyond around 100 degrees....it starts bubbling etc....

What you want to do, is let is set, and let it set for a while. It dries without baking, and gives a really nice/hard finish that way.

Cheers,

Nish