schemos for nothing, and chips for free...

Started by Peter Snowberg, February 16, 2005, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Quote from: Peter SnowbergAlthough the sentiment was totally understood, I must agree with Alpha579 that age should not be used to categorize people so broadly.

Alpha579, I'll bet you're quite a bit brighter than the "average" 14 year old. :D 8)

Damn..... now I start to feel old at 34! ;)

thanx Peter, by the way, love the topic name! classic...
Alex Fiddes

javacody

RLBJR65

Those parts are not really free anyway, the companys have to pass those costs on. It will be reflected in your next car, television, stereo, etc. purchase. if you have to lie to get them it's not worth it in my book.
Richard Boop

runmikeyrun

come on guys, to get a sampling of 10 different ICs will cost you what, $4-5?  Just buy the damn things!  Quit being a leech.  I work with skateboarders on a daily basis.  I am convinced that there are no other people looking for a free lunch more than skaters.  Every friggin kid asks if he can have this for free, can he skate for free at the park, etc etc.  They even ask to use our phone because they don't want to use the pay phone.  It's a terrible habit to get into and it really pisses people off when you do it, not to mention making you look like a real jerk.  For 0.40-0.75/opamp just buy the damn things!  I could see why people were doing it if these things cost $10 or something but for 0.40 there is no excuse.  I don't care if you don't have a job or your folks won't spring for it.  I'll bet your couch cushions hold all the cash you need to get a sampling of parts.  

End of rant.  Dang whippersnappers always get me fired up!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Alpha579

Quote from: javacodyUhh, that was PS (Peter Snowberg).
ok, ill admit we generally type before we think, thanks for pointing that out  :wink:
Alex Fiddes

Peter Snowberg

Object88,
Thanks for the URL correction! 8) :D

Alpha,
You're welcome. Puretube is actually the one who came up with the name, and I just stole it. :D

Andrew,
I wish I could say I was kidding.  :roll: People will be people.

Aharon,
I hear you clearly. Just for the record, my motivation is to not have this forum be something that in the long run affects the availability of engineering samples. Thinking back over the embedded systems I've designed, if I didn't have the ability to utilize samples (the way they're intended to be used) it would have really impacted my work. No ethics from me on this.... just simple selfishness. ;)

Cody,
Yep, now you know why I'm so grumpy. On the amp, I wanted to get another transformer from Mouser, but haven't ordered anything yet. The RS one works, but it could be better. Other stuff is now starting to move finally. I'll PM you about it.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

let`s say: he used it with permission,
while I borrowed it from Mr. Knopfler.
:)

`nother FX-related one:
"(I can`t get no) Saturation"
:roll:

Alpha579

Quote from: puretubelet`s say: he used it with permission,
while I borrowed it from Mr. Knopfler.
:)

`nother FX-related one:
"(I can`t get no) Saturation"
:roll:

hehe, keep em coming!  :D
Alex Fiddes

puretube

"The Motherchip Connection (is here)"
8)

(I regard that one as  (c)2005  :wink: )

added some feedback, to get some "MotherClip Correction"

(apropos "Feed Back": MoJo was a man, who thought he was a loner...)

puretube

"Ahh, The Name Is BOOSTY, Baby..."

8)  8)

StephenGiles

I'm not sure who I agree with but one just needs to keep a sensible view on all this.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

anybody old enough to remember the
SMALL TRACES` hit, that goes like this:

"I am a little Tin Solder, that wants to jump into your Wire";

or the Brothers Johnson`s hymn to this forum: "STOMP";

the Tremoloes`: "Silence Is Golden"

or Jimi`s: "Crosstalk Static" (did he compose it at the Cafe Wah?);

or the Beep Boys`: "Good Vibratoes" (with the cool Theremin sound);

:cry: : DSP killed the Tremolo Bar (by the Whammies ?)

MartyMart

OK, I HAVE had a few samples and NO I didn't "LIE" to get some either grrrrr
I've used them in TS-9/SD-1 and various other "Mods" which I needed to try out before deciding what works best for commercial sales of the modded pedals.
I can't "easily" get things like OPA1243  LM833 etc etc.
Since then I've ordered from Steve/RS components/ESR  etc what amounts to a few hundreds of pounds worth of components.
Karma satisfied  :D

Marty. :roll:

"we got some in store microwave ovens, custom kitchens delivered ered ered"
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: MartyMart....
I've used them in TS-9/SD-1 and various other "Mods" which I needed to try out before deciding what works best for commercial sales of the modded pedals...
That's what samples are for. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jmusser

Hey I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can get a lot of free components? I found this Cool Jack Orman Mechablaster schematic on the this free site the other day, and I'm really going make some big $ off of it. BTW, the first few of these haven't worked, so could someone help me troubleshoot them. I'll send them to your house and you can troubleshoot them in your free time. Just pay me shipping and handling, and I'll cut you a deal on this first batch of my original design.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

MartyMart

Quote from: jmusserHey I was just wondering if anybody knows where I can get a lot of free components? I found this Cool Jack Orman Mechablaster schematic on the this free site the other day, and I'm really going make some big $ off of it. BTW, the first few of these haven't worked, so could someone help me troubleshoot them. I'll send them to your house and you can troubleshoot them in your free time. Just pay me shipping and handling, and I'll cut you a deal on this first batch of my original design.

I know you're only kidding.. . . . . . right ? :roll:

"I've got a great NEW circuit, very cutting edge its a sort of TS-9 clone, and you know I wanted some more bass end caps diodes . . . . . . . . . .  . .. blah blah blah . . . . . . . ."

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Rob Strand

I thought RG's comments make the point.

The purpose of samples is so manufactures can get prototypes running before they go into production - especially for chips which are hard to get in small quantities (if at all).    Hobbyists don't fall into this category.

You guys in the US are spoiled with samples - in my country samples can be hard to get even if you are manufacturing units.  I remember getting knocked back by the Motorola distributor for a part, when then just typed in what we wanted into the Motorola web site and it was here in box in three days together will a full set of datasheets - all this totally bypassing the distributor.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

StephenGiles

Frankly not worth argueing about.........
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

R.G.

Enough.

Aron, Peter, can we kill this and all future "chips for free" posts?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ry

QuoteEnough.

Aron, Peter, can we kill this and all future "chips for free" posts?

Now wait a minute, how can you express your views in the beginning of this thread and have it evolve in a fairly positive way and now want to re-write history?  What's your rationale behind wanting to remove this thread?

Ry