schemos for nothing, and chips for free...

Started by Peter Snowberg, February 16, 2005, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

QuoteNow wait a minute, how can you express your views in the beginning of this thread and have it evolve in a fairly positive way and now want to re-write history? What's your rationale behind wanting to remove this thread?
It's pretty simple, Ry. There's no re-writing history involved.

The only reason this became a problem is that someone found the samples offer, got some free things, then blammed this forum with "Hey!FREEEEEEE Stuff!! All's you gotta do is...". As Peter pointed out, this forum was a reference point for what to do.

Removal of the discussions now and future removes the implantation of the concept of scamming for free samples from many future participants. That cuts it back to the ones that are both smart enough and motivated enough to find and use the scam points on their own, and those are fewer.

It's a simple enough idea. Remove the spew of information, you remove the incentive from many "me-too!!!" participants.

It's analogous to the hostage-killing stuff in Iraq and other places. You want to cut back on kidnappings? Quit doing free publicity for the captors.

The thugs in Iraq kidnap folks and then lovingly videotape them pleading for their lives and being beheaded because they know it will be smeared across television screens across the planet. If you want to cut down on hostage taking, deny them the audience by limiting the coverage to "A kidnapped aid worker was killed by their captors today...." no blood and guts on TV screens to help the kidnappers horrify folks who are not in a war zone and make them feel like big shots to their wannabees.

So yes, this discussion has evolved in a positive way - but now that we see that, quit with the free publicity.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ry

Not to quibble, because you have a very well thought out point, but I have to respectfully disagree with your reasoning.  You're comparing apples to elephants with your analogy.  Getting free components is such a totally different issue from life and death situations and the underlying political issues you have mentioned in regards to Iraq.

I think this discussion should be archived for future readers to review.  People aren't going to stop scamming free parts because we remove this thread.  This thread eplains the poisition of this forum against it.  I can see and totally agree with removing the threads asking how and where to get free parts, but I cannot agree with removing this one.

Ry[/quote]

gez

Would now be a good time for the Elvis stompbox thing??
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

RDV

Peter Snowberg

I think we' covered the topic quite well with this thread.

As Per R.G.'s request that we move on to bigger (unless using SMD) and better things, I'm going to let this thread run for the next 1/2 day and then it will be locked.

Any future "gimme chips" posts will be locked and referred back to this one.

Thanks for your participation everybody! 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mark Hammer

I have received samples once.  I wrote the company and asked what it would cost to obtain single unit quantities with shipping etc.  The guy says "I'll send you some free".  I say "Well, I'm NOT a potential commercial client.  I don't have a business, and there is no chance of me wanting more than this."  He say "No problem, I'll send three sets.  Just giveme your address.".  I respond with "But I don't NEED 3 sets".  He says "No problem, you might accidentally burnt out a set.  If not give the rest to your friends and tell them how much you like the device."  After twisting his arm this way and that to NOT send them free, I gave in and accepted his very generous offer.

So what do we infer from this?  1) Be honest.  It can't hurt, and often poses no obstacle to getting what you want.  At least companies have some sense of the potential hobbyist market out there.  2) Companies actually WANT to give this stuff away because they view it as advertising the same way the lady with free samples in the Costco store lets you have a few pieces of cookie.  What they *want* though, is for their freebies to reach the widest possible audience of potential customers.  They understand that maybe YOU won't buy more, but you may speak favourably about the product to someone ELSE who will buy a batch.

Last, but not least.  Always, always ALWAYS send a note of thanks to the contact person when you receive the samples....because my mother said so.

javacody

Damn Canadians, always making sense.  ;) Must be too much cold air. LOL

Rob Strand

QuoteI'm going to let this thread run for the next 1/2 day and then it will be locked.

This thread is probably more relevant than a lot of the other threads (or thread branches) that get posted.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Torchy

From the nice people at TI themselves ...

QuoteTI offers free samples for over 13,000 active devices to design engineers to support their new product designs and to qualify TI products in existing designs.

TI reserves the right to refuse requests from users who abuse this good-will offer of free samples.

TI uses the sample request information to contact potential customers. The information is also used to evaluate interest in TI products.
They seem to have it covered.
Oh, and I buy my components anyway, only used TI samples a couple of times (op-amps for pedal mod comparisons).

Alpha579

is it me, or are components generally quite cheap anyway? i always find boxes/switches/jacks the expensive ones...
Alex Fiddes

jmusser

Yes I was kidding. I was trying to throw several rants together at a time that I've read over the last few weeks.  Snowberg is is only 34? Christ almighty! I was in the 7th grade when he was born, and wearing a Beatles Nehru jacket and pointy toe Beatle boots to school. How old is the ancient and wise RG, 35? Both of you..... Go to your rooms! :lol:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Peter Snowberg

R.G. has boards he etched before I was born but regardless of his age, he is wise beyond his years. 8)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation