Bad Stone Q (callin StephenGiles)

Started by Zero the hero, February 17, 2005, 05:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

Hello everybody, I've almost finished the Bad Stone layout.
I used this schemo http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/badstone_2.jpg but I got some questions about this project...

The first thing i have to ask is about this symbol used in the schematic:

I
   I
----------
/  /  /  /

I assumed that this is NOT ground, but it's +4.5 bias and both C3, and the voltage divider section around R3, R4, R38 and R39 confirm my thesis (am I wrong?)

But...
look at the output jack: it's connected the "K", and "K" is connected to C13 and +4.5 bias via a 470 ohms resistor... why should I feed the ooutput with 4.5 volts?
And why pin 8 of CD4009 is not to ground?

Even the input section seems very strange to me...

Any suggestion and help is welcome...
Thanks!
alex.

puretube

I got an un-corrected version of that "same" drawing:
it does not have that 470 ohm resistor south of the cap marked with point "K", but is rather floating.
My guess: that resistor was inserted later, and ought to be a (470k) anti-plop pulldown resistor, and that fork-sign in the "corrected" version should rather be the ground-sign.

Also the un-corrected schemo shows point "A" at the tip of the input-jack,
which makes sense for bypass...

the other drawing shows the first opamp "B1" wired differently, but also quite doubtful...

Zero the hero

Even the fork on C1 makes not much sense... I believe that is a ground too.
Thanks for the guess!

B Tremblay

The earliest version of the Bad Stone used two 9v batteries.  Maybe that schematic just contains "artifacts" relating to a bipolar power supply.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Zero the hero

puretube, can you send me the "uncorrected" version of the schematic?
My email is:
offramp.uno AT tiscali.it

I think I'll build the LFO and phase shifting section with my layout and breadboard the rest of the circuit.
I found a couple of pics of the original Bad Stone circuit on home-wrecker. According to these pics, all the op-amp ICs are fed with +9 / 0 supply, so each pin 4 is on true ground and pin 8 is to +9.
The input section is correct, all the forks are right.
ICB-2 is correct too!
Now I'm stuck cause in the picture I've got, the interesting stuff (C1, R16 etc.) is hidden by the "Feedback" pot...

StephenGiles

Puretube is correct - this is an "old" corrected circuit diagram. Plenty of water under the bridge since then! I fell foul of the 470ohms resistor without thinking, and of course lost most of the volume.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

Zero: I finally found the schem
(I only had a small printout, but no scanner, and couldn`t find it on my PC...);
the un-corrected schematic I got, is the same as this:
http://www.muzique.com/schem/badstone.gif

(but without the "courtesy of www.m*usic.com" imprint and the watermark, which itself is rather a case for the more ethical people... :? ).

Zero the hero

Thanks everybody!
I hope to get this thing working during the week-end!
Alex.