News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Faulty OTA?

Started by bassmeister, February 17, 2005, 09:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmeister

I'm having trouble with several OTAs, I think... Looking at the datasheet of a CA3080, it seems like I should measure ~ 0,7 V at pin 5 (one diode voltage drop)? Correct? I measure 0 V. I measure on different OTAs mounted in a socket on a Tonepad Small stone (IC3).

Is it safe to say that every OTA on which I measure 0 V at pin 5 is broken?

R.G.

Not necessarily. The pin could be shorted to ground externally, or could have no drive current to it. Both of those would cause 0V on the pin and the OTA would be good. If you socketed the chips, remove the OTA(s) and measure the voltage on that pin of the socket to verify or eliminate the OTA as the short to ground.

If a wire measures 0V, it can be shorted at either end, or may simply not be driven.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bassmeister

Thanks!

I'm right in the middle of trying different OTAs (new ones and presumably broken ones) in different combinations. With just the LFO OTA (new) and one other "broken" socketed, I still measure 0 V. However, when i switch the latter to a new one, I measure ~ 0,7 V at pin 5 (varying slightly). Can I now say that the first one tested is broken?

Does anyone know a good source for a simple test circuit for an OTA?

R.G.

QuoteHowever, when i switch the latter to a new one, I measure ~ 0,7 V at pin 5 (varying slightly). Can I now say that the first one tested is broken?
Yep. It's dead.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

bassmeister

All five tested the same way, all dead :cry: I read somewhere on this forum that the CA3080 (perhaps all OTAs?) are very sensitive to currents over 2 mA on pin 5 (instant breakdown). Could be that I shorted pin 5 (they're all interconnected on the Small Stone) to a not current controlled source somehow. Gotta be more careful when probing. This could become an expensive hobby otherwise...   :)