Rangemaster clone pics!

Started by hairyandy, February 17, 2005, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairyandy

Hey guys,

Here's my first foray into pedal-dom.  It's a Rangemaster with a NOS OC44 and AB CC resistors.  I did it on pad-per-hole and modified Torchy's stripboard layout to fit into 8x9 holes.  The finish is Rustoleum copper Hammerite with a crappy Avery label for the lettering (don't they know that 'Clear' doesn't mean 'Opaque'?)  I shot a few coats of Nitro clear on it at the guitar shop that I work at.  I named it the "Tarot Boost" after the Rainbow song "Tarot Woman" from the album 'Rising'.  It pretty much nails that Ritchie Blackmore tone going through a modified TS9 into my '59 4x10 Bassman.

Here's the outside:

Here's the inside (not as clean as I'd like it but getting there!):

Here's a close-up of the board:

Here's an unfinished board waiting to get wired up:

Hope you dig it.  Next on the bench is a straight-up Tonebender MKII Pro.
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

GreenEye

Love the pedal pics, the label, the logo font, Rainbow, and the Rangemaster sound.  I'm just full of love here. :D

Is the board held in place by the solder connections "hooking" onto the fuzzy side of velcro?

MartyB

Andy!  Very nice job!  Wow, your first!  The RM is an undervalued pedal IMHO.  I'd love to hear it thru your bassman.  ?Clips?

sir_modulus

That's a job well done! I like the labelling a lot! Good job, and hope you have fun with the whole DIY pedal building thing...it sure is fun :D

Oh, and btw....that is one of the best first pedals I've seen. If you had a PCB in there, I could EASILY see it in a shop. MY first pedal was an LPB-1 in a wooden box wrapped in aluminum foil  :shock:

I've come a long way though, as now I have my hand designed boost pedal that I sell, and this is why I marvel the finish on your enclousure...it's close to top quality (try using Small Bear Electronics Decal Stock next time...stuff works wonders!)

Cheers, and a job well done.

Nish

hairyandy

Thanks guys!  I've been having a blast with this.  It is addictive as hell.

I've done a couple others for friends using decal stock that I bought at Hobbyland.  I love the clean look of the decals but they're a pain in the ass to work with.  It's really hard to get a full face decal to not fold over on the edge as you're applying it.  I ordered some more, both laser and inkjet, from Small Bear to try out.  Maybe Steve's are better?

GreenEye:  the board is kinda held in place by the velcro but the velcro is there more to protect against a short.  The hook-up wire that I use (22AWG teflon) is very stiff so it helps to keep it from moving around.  There's not really anywhere for it to go in a 1590B anyway.

Marty:  My studio is in a shambles or I'd put up a clip.  Maybe someday soon...

A side note:  This pedal was actually my second build but is the first that I've finished nicely.  Believe it or not, my first one actually was stolen 3 hours after I finished it!  I used it at a rehearsal and then went to have a beer with a friend and left my pedal board in the back seat of my car (yeah, I'm stupid).  Sure enough, some ass broke my window and stole it.  I lost a Line6 DL4, a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, a Hot Cake, my prototype RM, a ZVex Fuzz Factory (thanks for the help on the replacement Z!), an EH Black Finger, a TU2 and a Pedal Power 2.  What a bummer that was... :cry:
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Peter Snowberg

Sorry to herar about your loss. :(

That is one GREAT looking pedal! :shock: Your first (second) build? WOW! 8)

As with GreenEye... full of love here too... :D

Clips! Clips! Clips! Hehehe.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ryanscissorhands

Nice looking pedal. Definitely an inspiration. Especially the font.

Speaking of, anyone out there know of a good place to get lots of whack, cool-looking fonts?

bryantbr

simplythebest.net

did a quick search.  this looks pretty good.

bryantbr

Thanks for asking the question.  I thought this one was pretty cool.

hairyandy,
Beautiful stompbox.  A true piece of art.

MartyMart

Thats a great first build Andy !!
Nice paint/wiring job  :D

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com