Stocking up on parts...

Started by GonzoFonts, February 17, 2005, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonzoFonts

New on the board (first post) and getting (back) into the hobby of building and modding pedals.

Plan to put in an in order to DigiKey next week.

I have my assortment of metal film resistors and Panasonic V-Series metal film caps chosen.

Can anyone recommend what else to get? Tantalum caps? Non-Polarized caps? Which values? Or better yet, Didkey part numbers?

I have some 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4004, and 1N4007 diodes on the list.

Should I order some 1N914 diodes? Which leads me to a question...

People on the board tend to treat the 1N914 and 1N4148 as the same diode. Are these the same just a different name? I’m thinking they are not the same because in the DigiKey catalog, the same diode manufacturer has 1N914 and 1N4148 listed as two different diodes which would imply they are not the same.

Also, my local electronics store had some Germanium diodes (well, that is what the box said). They are glass like and the part number is 1N1499 with an ITT after them. Never heard of these but they were 39 cents each so I bought 10. When I came home I measured them and the range was between 0.205V and 0.219V. I did a search on the board and found nothing and I searched the web and found nothing. Anyone have info on these?

Anything else (besides resistors, caps, and diodes) that I should get?

Thanks in advance.

Gonzo

PS: Maybe the mods should create a sticky the board with suggested parts for the parts box and corresponding DigiKey/Mouser/etc. part numbers and we can all keep adding to the list to help future newbies. This link kind of has what I'm talking about but I think we can do much better. :)

Marcos - Munky

I suggest you to buy a few caps in these values: 0.1uF, 0.01uF, 0.047uF, 0.001uF, 470pF. This is the values that I found in lots of distortion schematics. For the resistors: 1K, 10K, 22K, 33K, 100K, 220K, 330K, 1M. The 1N914 and 1N4148 diodes are very similar in sound, so we use them as a direct replacement.

EDIT: also, buy a few pots. I use lots of 100K pots, but buy something like 1K, 10K, 100K and 1M.