New at Topopiccione: EH Bad Stone

Started by Zero the hero, February 20, 2005, 08:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero the hero

I did it!
After hours of soldering and testing, it worked. The first time I plugged it into the amplifier it didn't work, due to a broken transistor (stupid 2N3904, you took 1 hour of my life away).
Then this thing started phasing like I've never hear before! It sweep from small phasing to extreme chorus/flanger like sounds.
The layout was a bit messy, but it was the only way to fit 6 ICs in a small board.
I'll post the complete build article on my site very soon (tomorrow if I'll have time...).

EDITED: It's on-line now at http://topopiccione.atspace.com/
under "Projects" --> "Electro-Harmonix Bad Stone"

puretube

StephenGiles

Zero  - well done! It's a great phaser - did you use a 4009 or a 4049?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Zero the hero

I used both for testing. I noticed that the 4049 gives a less pronounced phasing, but I might be wrong...

dpresley58

Congratulations!
Which schematic did you use, Zero..?
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

B Tremblay

Quote from: Zero the heroI used both for testing. I noticed that the 4049 gives a less pronounced phasing, but I might be wrong...

I noticed slight differences between the two in my vintage Bad Stone, but nothing that would make me choose one or the other.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Zero the hero

Quote from: dpresley58Congratulations!
Which schematic did you use, Zero..?

The one posted on GGG, although it had a minor error.

sir_modulus

Good job! I've been lokking to build a bad stone sometime. Is there a chance for audio samples?  :D

Cheers,

Nish

B Tremblay

Quote from: sir_modulusIs there a chance for audio samples?

This page has a few from my store-bought unit:
http://home-wrecker.com/badstone.html
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Zero the hero

Thanks for the sound samples! My unit sounds pretty the same, it only feature a higher max frequency rate.
I have a computer with no analogue in, so I have no chance to record samples now... :oops:

puretube

hah: so you need a digital phasor...  :P  :oops:  :lol:

Maneco

Congratulations...from the clips,that's one of the finest phasers i've heard...if you want,i can collaborate in designing a layout for this community...enjoy it...

sir_modulus

Wow...the bad stone has such an "organic" and deep sweep! I like it a lot!

Cheers,

Nish

Zero the hero

Thanks in advance Maneco, but the layout is ready! I've drawn it with Photoshop and I only have to finish some minor details, like writing an article, taking some pictures and triple checking everything...
If I'll have enough time, I think that tomorrow an article will appear on my site!

Maneco

WOW! thanks...i know what i'll build next for my pedalboard...

Zero the hero

It's online now at http://topopiccione.atspace.com/

under "Projects" --> "Electro-Harmonix Bad stone"
Enjoy!  8)

sir_modulus

Awsome man! Thanks! I look forward to building this!

Cheers,

Nish