this is driving me insane

Started by guitarmonky55, February 20, 2005, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarmonky55

ok i was cannibalizing an old early 80's stereo speaker cabinet for speakers(the woofers are torn to hell and the wiring got busted years ago, the cabs have been serving as stands for little glass tables with cloths draped over them lately) and inside the tone controls i found this thing:

what heck is it?(sorry for bad pic quality) ive searched the net high and low and found no answer.[/img]

JimRayden

Looks like a high wattage resistor to me.

-------------
Jimbo

NaBo

possibly an axial-leaded cap?  i've seen a few high val ones like that, but they were yellow

Pedal love

guitarmonky55

i was wondering if it was some kind of resistor.  theres no markings, so do you just have to rely on a multimeter to find the value i guess?

interesting, but i guess a little useless for stompbox applications eh?

sir_modulus

I's a cement power resistor. It's bigger than 5 watts from the looks of it. I'd say measure it with a meter if there are no markings. They could be used in a tube amp bias circuit if the value is high enough.

Cheers,

Nish

j0shua

Sand Carbon Resistor ( 1,2,3,4,5 to 8 Watts at 40% ) .....

is used as a Speaker Filter...... :)

mojotron

Ya, it's a big wattage (probably low resistance) resistor, I have had the same experience... Radio Shack actually carries some, you would have to measure it with a meter to know the right value to get.

If you do repair this, use something nonconductive and heat resistent to glue it down - the weight of those just causes the leads to break unless it is glued down.....  :D