Battery Door?

Started by inverseroom, February 20, 2005, 07:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

Has anyone here gotten sick of unscrewing their DIY pedals to change the battery?  Have any of those people tried installing a battery door?  What do you think--more trouble than it's worth?

gak

if you read spanish you can take a look here:
http://pisotones.com/Articulos/Mecanizacion.htm
this guys are great..!
(if you don't read spanish you can watch the pictures anyway, not to much to add..)

inverseroom

¡¡ Mucha suerte !!

sir_modulus

That's really cool..I should look into that. I don't find it all that annoying, but I would like something like a battery drawer (those don't fit  :( )

Cheers,

Nish

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/BatteryHolders/BatteryHolders.html
Check BX0023.
Mind you, I'd rather spend my life unscrewing the base than have to make the rectangular hole for the battery case :x
Oh, and Bulgin are good, but NOT cheap :(

gez

Might look pig ugly, but how about sticking a battery box/clip on the outside of an enclosure (drill a hole for the lead).

Probably not a solution for those who sell pedals, but for homebrewed utilitarian stuff?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mike Burgundy

as long as your doing that - why not go all the way and make yourself a large battery pack power supply?

sir_modulus

I dunno...I basically just deal with it. I REALLY dislike drilling square holes...it is quite unfun....

Cheers,

Nish

onboard

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
Mind you, I'd rather spend my life unscrewing the base than have to make the rectangular hole for the battery case :x

No doubt.

The Mouser # is 122-BX0023. At $3.17 per, that's alot of 25 cent battery clips...twelve-ish actually.

If you're bound and determined for that battery drawer, how about the dual 9V 122-BX0026 for 18V operation or bi-polar 9V from two batteries, or twice the battery life at single sided 9V. (no, I'm not a Mouser or Bulgin rep :wink:)  

Paul's right, have fun cutting those square/rectangular openings...
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

mveitch

Babelfish -> http://world.altavista.com/babelfish does an ok translation of the spanish site mentioned earlier by the way...

inverseroom

Hmm, perhaps there's a way to punch out the square hole?  I feel like there is a method out there that I'm not seeing.

Of course, it's not like I change batteries all that frequently.

gez

Quote from: inverseroomHmm, perhaps there's a way to punch out the square hole?  I feel like there is a method out there that I'm not seeing.

How about making your own bottom plate for a diecast box?  Sheet steel/Aluminium, tin snips/shears...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

inverseroom

Quote from: gez
Quote from: inverseroomHmm, perhaps there's a way to punch out the square hole?  I feel like there is a method out there that I'm not seeing.

How about making your own bottom plate for a diecast box?  Sheet steel/Aluminium, tin snips/shears...

Or, I could find a toy keyboard or something with a battery door and carve out a new bottom plate around it...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Or you could just throw away the screws in the bottom plate, and use magnets!
Either have magnets glued to the main box & a steel base, or magnets on the base as well. Then you just wrench the base off & slap in a new battery!!!
I can't believe people can give a shit about unscrewign bases :lol:

sir_modulus

For a square hole, what you do is drill a/some holes in the box, then you file out the holes to make a square....not fun...at all...

Cheers,

Nish

inverseroom

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Or you could just throw away the screws in the bottom plate, and use magnets!
Either have magnets glued to the main box & a steel base, or magnets on the base as well. Then you just wrench the base off & slap in a new battery!!!
I can't believe people can give a shit about unscrewign bases :lol:

Would the magnets mess up the signal?

You are clearly underestimating the heroic anality of many a guitar geek.  By the way, you have some pizza sauce on your tie, there.  :dab dab:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: inverseroomWould the magnets mess up the signal?

No. A stationary magnetic field won't cause any problems.

Regan

Most electronic suppliers sell punches for IEC power connectors, seems to me these would be the perfect size, then just mount a little hinge on the piece punched out,,,,,,
Regan

sovtek50

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I can't believe people can give a shit about unscrewign bases :lol:

...so can't I. Unscrewing things is why I picked up DIYing in the first place...
A circuit a day keeps the therapist away.

Triffid

Well, I am interested in this thread because i am currently building a reverb that i would like to box up nicely in a wooden box, with nails... and yes... a battery drawer :)