100k instead of 250k pot in Easy Face?

Started by bluesdevil, February 20, 2005, 09:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesdevil

Just thought I would ask if anybody might have an idea on what  limits using a 100k linear pot for the pre-gain in Joe Gagan's Easy Face would be. It looks like I have all the parts I need here except the 250k pot...... darn it!!
    This might sound stupid, but could I wire up a 150k resistor with it somehow to correct any problems I might have? In case it matters, I'll be doing the input cap blend mod as well. Thanks!!!!!!
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

brett

The 100k pot will work ok, but will load your pickups just a wee bit, and you'll lose some highs.
You could put a 100k (or 150k?) resistor on the lower side of the pot (ie between the pot and earth.  That would up the imput impedence, which would brighted up the sound, but you'd lose the lower half of the "drive" range of the pot.

If that's not clear, post again.  cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

bluesdevil

Thanks Brett, the 100k from the gain pot to ground worked out. It fired up on first try!!!!! I really love the Easy Face's warm n' fuzzy Cream/Jimi sound.... I can't recommend building this one enough. The input cap blend control really thickened it up to my taste. Even works with the active EMG humbucker in the bridge position of my Les Paul (w/ the tone control down). I have a passive humbucker in the neck spot and found that having both pickups on together sounds very good..... better than with other pedals. I need to do an official "build report" with pics and sound samples but in case I don't get around to it it, this is my testimonial.
    I gotta dig into the revised Axis Face on Fuzz Central and Pete's "Sun Dial" fuzz soon to hear how they compare.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy