|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 09:05:07 AM
977968 Posts in 104082 Topics by 33402 Members
Latest Member: Archie64
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  ok, put project together and have a question about boost 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ok, put project together and have a question about boost  (Read 4105 times)
adgators89

ok, put project together and have a question about boost
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:30:27 PM »

I put the project together and think i have evertyhing wired correctly.  I used two stero jacks instaed of one stereo and one mono.  No switch yet as I just wanted to make sure it worked first.  when I turn the pot, nothing seems to change.  but on a good note the sircuit is complete since when the battery is plugged in, the sound does travel through and go to the amp.

any suggestions or troubleshooting I could do to see what needs to be changed.  I used all the parts aron suggested.
adgators89

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 09:07:09 PM »

actually it seems that i loose volume when i go through my beginner boost project.  this is my first attempt, but i hate not getting things right the first time especially something that is supposed to be easy like this project
Outlaws

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 11:39:06 PM »

A bit off topic, but did you breadboard this or solder it?

My first effect had a simular problem.  The volume worked but the distortion control didn't.  I made the mistake of super gluing the board into the case right off the bat since I followed the instructions to a T, and now its got a set distortion level.  :oops:

I suggest investing a few bux in a breadboard.  I just got mine and it has saved me a lot of trouble already on my first breadboarded Fuzzface.  Its so nice to be able to just unplug any wrong connections.  lol
adgators89

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 11:41:13 PM »

no breadboard, soldered it on the perfboard already.  the connections looked right, I double checked.  I don't kniow, maybe I'll just rip the whole thing apart and try it again
Outlaws

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »

Quote from: adgators89
actually it seems that i loose volume when i go through my beginner boost project.  this is my first attempt, but i hate not getting things right the first time especially something that is supposed to be easy like this project

Can you get a picture of your board and a picture of the schematic and/or layout you used?
adgators89

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 11:53:18 PM »

well, I just ripped the board apart, but I used the pic tutorial that aron posted on the site as a sticky.  I'm about to start over again right now

any suggestions?
Outlaws

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 12:02:25 AM »

Quote from: adgators89
well, I just ripped the board apart, but I used the pic tutorial that aron posted on the site as a sticky.  I'm about to start over again right now

any suggestions?

Trace out your connections with a sharpie.

Print up the layout and physically cross off what you connect.

Get a safety pin and scrape inbetween any suspicious ares that might connect ares that shouldn't be connected.
adgators89

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 12:03:59 AM »

thanks, I'll repost how it goes once I'm finished
Outlaws

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 12:20:09 AM »

Is this the boost you are talking about?

How did you connect the pot the first time?  Did you connect the middle lug to an outer lug?  Or did you connect to a lug, then connect to the other lug via the 47uF?
adgators89

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 12:33:16 AM »

from the bottom view with lugs on the right

I connected the furthest rigth lug to the .22 uf cap

i connected the middle lug to the 47uf cap

I connected the left (bottom lug) to the other side of the cap and also the ground
adgators89

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 12:50:06 AM »

ok, finished it again, I get sound when I plug in, but no boost or fuzz, just like as if I plugged straight in

and yes that is the schematic[/img]
Outlaws

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 01:16:34 AM »

A bit confusing, but from the back side of the pot facing us with the lugs on the bottom ...  you have lugs 3, 2, 1.

I would have the wire that connects both the E and the negetive of the 22uF going to lug 3.

Have lug 1 going to ground.

As for the others, I would have lug 2 with the positive of the 47uF cap and the negative going to the grounded lug 1, but I would PM aron to confirm this.  As I don't want to be the cause of you trashing anything.  :lol:

But that seems to be how most of my gain knobs have been so far...though still not exactly like yours.
adgators89

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »

yeah, that's how I have them set up,  I am using two stereo jacks now, so I am going to run to radio shack and pick up a mono jack or two since i have another little project i'm working on.  I just wish i could get this to work, for such a simple project, I am having trouble.    aaaaarrrrggghhhh
adgators89

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »

well I got it to work.  The only problem is I don;t know what I did to do that.  I used the same board I had last night and the only thing I can think of is that I scratched inbetween with the pin like you said.  If that did the trick that's cool, little tip for me to remember.

ok, pedal one circuitry done, now for the box and switch
Outlaws

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »

Nice to hear.

Hows it sound?

What kind of amp are you running it into?

I am thinking of building a MayBooster, Rangemaster, or something simular soon.  Does this have a wide range of boost sounds?  (clean while still boosting or just distorted boost?)
adgators89

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

I'm running into a marshall.  the boost is subtle to loud and a very slight overdrive.

It is kind of muddy to my ear, but nice to have the pot to around 12:00 for godsmack and disturbed type of sound (through my amp anyway.- of course that is with distortion on.)

I am looking for mods to it now to clean up the low/mids.  I guess I'm looking for more of a treble/mid boost for lead work.  I'll have to see what i can come up with here in the forum
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2005, 03:18:35 AM »

Change the input cap to .01uF or smaller (.0047uF) etc... This will give you a treble boost.
adgators89

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2005, 10:02:27 AM »

I do like the fact that it really seems to almost be like a bass tone control, it works nice for deeper sounding rhythym work, so I guess I'll build another one and use it for the treble boost. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: