Dismantling a Vox Wah Housing?

Started by bwanasonic, February 21, 2005, 03:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanasonic

I have an old Vox *shell* that I've had kicking around for years:

I would like to *recondition* it and make a proper wah out of it. Any tips on dismantling one for cleaning and repair? I need to remove the pin that holds the pinion gear to replace it. Would also like to remove the foot treadle if feasible, so I can clean underneath thoroughly, and try to replace the heel end felt pad. This was a volume pedal, so I will need to drill a hole for the DPDT switch, not a task I look forward to. Any advice on the right tools and methods for dismantling/rebulding appreciated.

Kerry M

sir_modulus

Hmm....I can help on dismantling it.

First off, take off all the screws on the bottom plate. Now there will be a glue covered screw near the "heel" of the pedal. Take that out. Now get a deadblow (plastic or rubber) mallet, and a pin pusher, or robertson (square nose) screwdriver, and gently hammer out the pin holding the foot treadle in place (it's the pivot point). Now, removing the foot treadle is easy. I wouldn't remove the rack, as it is hard to put back in. Now, what you need to do is take off the rubber top mat. This can be done with some gentle heat (hair-dryer), and a flat screwdriver. Now the rest of the dissasembly is real easy. I can't say how to get the pinion gear off...there are lots of different styles. Could you mention how it is fastened?

Next, if you want to refinish it, you need to sand off the paint. I wouldn't chip it off, as it makes the metal hard to refinish. So, just delicately sand it off, maybe with a power sander.

Cheers,

Nish

sir_modulus

Oh! I just got some more tips for you!

1) make sure you use a jig when drilling the whole for another switch. Also, make sure the centre punch the whole....Drill bits tend to not like biting into slanted surfaces.

2) Use JBweld to glue the foot pad back on, it just doesn't hold otherwise.

3) DON'T clean the grease off the parts. The grease on the foot treadle is excellent stuff...replacing it is not all that easy. Also, the white grease all the new pedals come with is the best for the rack and pinion assembly.

Cheers,

Nish

Mike Burgundy

The white stuff is run-of-the-mill sillicone grease. Works a treat.
Just for your information ;)

bwanasonic

Quote from: sir_modulusI wouldn't remove the rack, as it is hard to put back in.

The rack gear is broken so I will need to replace it when it my smallbear order get here. Thanks for the tip on JB weld for gluing the rubber pad. I like the finish as it is. I don't plan on messing with the pinion gear , as I will most likely get a teese or hotpotz type deal.

thanks!

Kerry M

Dan N

Quote from: bwanasonicI like the finish as it is.

Me too! What a great looking wah!