1fF = 1 femto Farad (10^-15)
1pF = 1 pico Farad (10^-12)
1nF = 1 nano Farad (10^-9)
1uF (or sometimes seen as 1mF) (10^-6)

which means to say that 1uF is 1 000nF or 1 000 000pF
1uF = 1 000 000pF
0.0047uF = 4.7nF
0.0047mF is not 470pF

Bear in mind that the unit m is actually milli, not micro. Micro is denoted by 'u'. However, since there are almost no milliFarad, many use m to denote micro conveniently.

cheers,
george

zachary vex

in really old schematics sometimes you'll see mmF as uF.  milli-milli Farads.

JimRayden

And russians use "mk" as micro. And their "F" is cyrillic.

Just you'd know. :)

-----------
Jimbo

R.G.

Quotein really old schematics sometimes you'll see mmF as uF. milli-milli Farads.
Possibly so.

However, in many, many more from the middle really old times, mmF was used for micro-micro-Farad, or pico-Farads. Many of them have the notation on them about "micro-micro". I've never personally seen a schemo that used mmF for milli-milli-Farad or micro-Farad, but lots where it was micro-micro-Farad. I would tend to guess pF for mmF first.

But that's just me.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jmusser

There's a couple posts on the bottom of page 5 that link to capacitor references, that would be nice to have around. One of them shows nano conversion, which helps when you're builing from European schematics.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

SaBer

I've always wondered why people don't use AltGr+M for µ. With all this modern technology it _should_ work on everyones screen.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

zachary vex

Quote from: R.G.
Quotein really old schematics sometimes you'll see mmF as uF. milli-milli Farads.
Possibly so.

However, in many, many more from the middle really old times, mmF was used for micro-micro-Farad, or pico-Farads. Many of them have the notation on them about "micro-micro". I've never personally seen a schemo that used mmF for milli-milli-Farad or micro-Farad, but lots where it was micro-micro-Farad. I would tend to guess pF for mmF first.

But that's just me.

well that explains why all those circuits i built when i was 3 sucked tone so badly.  8^)

zachary vex

Quote from: SaBerI've always wondered why people don't use AltGr+M for µ. With all this modern technology it _should_ work on everyones screen.

option+M works on a mac...  Âµ

Peter Snowberg

For Windows... hold down Alt, type 0181 on the numeric keypad, release the Alt key and you get µ. :D

I'm still in the habbit of using 'u' instead because there's no question with font coverage and everybody knows what I'm saying if I say 'uF'.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation