I want that "Foreigner" sound !!

Started by Skidood, May 22, 2005, 05:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skidood

Hey all,

I'm lookiing to build a stompbox that sounds like the lead guitar on Foreigner's "Hot Blooded"..that slightly nasal sounding riff during the lyrics; "check it and see"..what an awesome sound...
Anyone have any guesses as to what effect they were using?

Drew in Toronto

RDV

Les Paul & Marshall.

A BSIAB2 will do a decent job.

RDV

Skidood

petemoore

"Just A Pedal' ..."Just Kidding"...
 A "rather popular design, a Distortion box by Ed Guidry, BSIAB is an abbreviation for "Brown Sound In a Box"...a term made known by Mr. EVH. ... and the pedal...though I don't know if Eddie ever tried one...lol.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Rodgre

the BSIABII will do nicely. Also don't ignore a regular old MXR Distortion+.

There's a little bit of "70's distortion pedal" tone in that song.

Roger

vortex

Mmmmm.. don't forget the......Les Paul & Marshall

troubledtom

i'm so sorry,
    i never take a jab at a bro.
           but heck his sound is so basic,
           his play'n is most of the mith.
               best wishes,
------------- tt

toneman

easy,
just take your ax & amp to another country...
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

WGTP

I have both read that he used and seen Mick on stage with an Ampeg VT-22.  2-12"s and 100 watts.  I used to have one.  Probably had more mid's than a marshal.  In order to keep the 2-12"s from blowing they had to be replaced with Altecs, EV's or JBL's.  I think the Altecs were from the factory.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

petemoore

I was under the impression that was an example of good use of the "Master Volume' tube amps Marshall [and others] produced that became popular in the 70's.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

boogielicious

Skidood,

I second the BSIABII pedal.  Very veratile.  I also like the Foreigner sound.  I've found that my Plexi clone does a nice job by itself, but only when run pretty loud.  The BSIAB pedal can catch that sound at lower volumes.  I don't think the pedal sound is limited to EVH sounds either.

Try it, you'll like it.  It's an easy build because it is so well documented too.

Scott