Green TRF for the Pulsar Toner Transfer System ?

Started by Tychobrahe1979, February 21, 2005, 03:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tychobrahe1979

I'm looking at the instructions for transfering PCB layouts using the above mentioned and they seem pretty insistent that you use Green TRF after you have transfered your circuit layout onto the board. I've never heard anything about this on this forum and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience using this product with or without the Green TRF. I am guessing that this probably is not really necessary since I'm not doing any lines that are .006" thick as mentioned on their site but before I go diving in head first I thought I'd ask. http://www.pulsar.gs/1_PCB/a_Pages/3_Direct_Etch/3b_The_15min_PCB/The_15min_PCB.html

Chico

I use this stuff all the time.  I think that I have some posts on my technique somewhere in the forum.

I have never tried to etch without the Green TRF when using the pulsar system, but I can say from an overall consistency standpoint, I am very happy with the results with the combo of the TTS paper and TRF foil.  

I must admit that the foil takes a while to get used to.  It makes layout transfer a 2-step process.(I use a laminator to transfer the TTS and the TRF to the boards, so once the board is cleaned, it takes me about 3-5 minutes to lay down the TTS, remove the paper and put down the green TRF).

The green TRF makes a real nice etch resist that really protects your traces well.  I have done many relatively large AVR boards that use 0.01 trace widths.  I have yet (knock on wood) to have to touch up a trace.

That said, if you opt not to use the TRF foil, you will be relying solely on the toner for etch resist.  This may or may not work depending upon your trace widths, the density of the toner, how long it takes to etch the board ... and other similar factors.

Good luck to you.

Tom

Tychobrahe1979

Okay thanks a lot Chico I found your previous posts and they were a lot of help. I am also very interested in using this to transfer decals to the outside. With no outline of where you cut out the decal from the sheet it looks really sharp on the outside of the pedal you have pictured.

Interestingly the Pulsar website shows that Mouser doesn't have the Green and White TRF and yet they sell the Toner Transfer Paper made by them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm........ :?