"Whiskey in the jar" guitar sound ?

Started by MartyMart, February 21, 2005, 04:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Any ideas of the gear used on the intro riff to this "Thin Lizzy" classic?
Sounds kind of "FF" or is it just amp break up ?
They were a crackin band BTW, saw them live four times !!

Ta,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

JimRayden

I love Thin Lizzy. I don't know any of their songs though. But I loved their show from 1976 that was on TV the other night.

They looked like usual LP-into-Marshalls-style band to me. I didn't see any stompboxes when they were live.

Though I don't know what they would use in the studio.

They were GREAT, man!

-------------
Jimbo

Johan

..Thats from the first album released -73, right?..I really cant tell what he's using, but for some reason I allways pictured Eric Bell ( the guitarist on that album)  with a tele through a Marshall bluesbreaker..( listen to "rocker" )...but I dont know..
later on offcourse, they turned into the twinguitarband that most people know...L.P's through Marshalls with the ocational touch of wha and phase-90....

Johan
DON'T PANIC

StephenGiles

I don't know how old Eric Bell is now, perhaps 55 or so. and probably still playing. I wonder how many 55 year olds played electric guitar 40 years ago!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MartyMart

I met Scott Gorham in the "Half Moon" pub in Putney about 4 years ago, I went to see a band and he was at the bar, very nice chap, I bought him a drink !! and tried to avoid "man you're the best" type chit-chat.
He didn't look any different !
Not bad for a serious "rocker"  :D
No pedals eh?
It does sound a bit "Fuzz Face" to me . . . . .hmmm

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

BD13UK

As I recall I think it was a Strat and a Fender Twin that He used, dont know what the pedal was if any but it has a bit of an FF sound to it though it might have been the pull out volume knob on the Fender Twin from that period but it sounds a bit too nice to have been that option.
Brian

Russ

I would definitely think it's a Strat. I've never seen a picture of Eric playing anything else but a Strat, and there is certainly a little tremolo bar action going on in a couple of places in "Whiskey in the Jar", if I recall correctly.

Russ

rubberlips

Eric Bell used a strat as far as I know, and I'm pretty sure into a marshall around that period. However if you're interested in Lizzy, join this mailing list - there's a few guitarists on it who know quiet a lot
http://www.df.lth.se/~ozzie/nwowo.html

I've noticed there's been a bit more Lizzy tab popping up of recent as well

Cheers

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

bentium

i'd like to get the whiskey in the jar sound from metallica
probably gonna have to buy a rectifier for it :p
if someone has a nice pedal for it (+ schematic) :p?

Ed G.

You got to love Thin Lizzy. I kind of hated the way Metallica covered that song. James Hetfield sounds like he's taking a crap after each verse.

As I was goin' over the Cork and Kerry mountains...yeeeaaaggghhhh
I saw Captain Farrell and his money he was countin'...yeeeaaaggghhhh
I first produced my pistol and then produced my rapier...yeeeaaaggghhhh
I said stand and deliver or the devil he may take yeeeaaaggghhhh

One of my favorite songs is The Rodeo Song...