switch from AC power to batteries in no time

Started by fweijers, February 23, 2005, 07:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fweijers

Hi all,

I play gigs on regular basis and I sometimes come across the situation that there is no power for my effects. In those cases I need to switch to battery-power.

I am looking for a way to quickly 'swap' from AC power to battery power.

This is my set-up:
guitar
- wah pedal
- line6 delay modeler
- distortion stompbox (Marshall bluesbreaker)
- MXR phase 90
- Boss TU-2 tuner  amplifier.

Both the Wah pedal and the delay modeler are always de-connected after playing. Therefore the wah pedal is always battery powered. Battery lasts at least a year while using it a lot.
The delay modeler is always on an adapter; if the adapter would fail at a gig, I need to insert batteries. Can't leave the batteries in it; line6 support center adviced me not to. Pity.

The other three:
distortion, phase90, and the tuner are mounted on a little board, with a power supply on it.
I always leave all signal wires connected, and I always use the AC power supply on them.
This way I can easily set up my gear at a gig, very fast.

In case the power supply fails, or when there is no power for the effects at a gig, I need to switch over to battery power. The best solution would be to leave batteries in the three stompboxes ...
I conctacted customer support at Dunlop and according to them I can leave batteries in the stompboxes while using an AC power adapter. So far so good!
However, because I always leave the signal wires connected, my batteries would soon be emptied while the boxes are not in use ... according to the manual.

Anyone any good idea for this "problem"?

Ge_Whiz

Presumably, you still need to plug in an amp? So why not plug in a multi-socket adaptor and plug amp and effects into that? Or do you just go straight to mixer?

Ge_Whiz

H.Manback

Well, since you need to plug and unplug the adapter jacks anyway when you switch between mains power and batteries, I suggest you just plug in all the adapter cables back in again when you're finished.
That way the batteries are disconnected too.

If that isn't exactly what you had in mind (and I kind of expect it isn't ;)) then the only alternative I know of is to grab the drill and soldering iron and add on/off switches to your effects...

fweijers

I am afraid you are right; this issue cannot be solved I suppose.
It would be good if the stompboxes do not consume battery power while signal cables are connected.
But since they do, I guess I need to prepare and always bring seperate batteries and a screwdriver with me .....
:?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Here is a possibility, make an external battery holder.
And arrange the power adaptor inputs (to the battery box) so that when plugged in, the battery is switched out.
Then when you have no AC mains, the batteries take over (until the battery box output is unplugged from the equipment).

Who knows, maybe you could use rechargable batteries & make an uninterruptable power supply :wink: (but I imagine there are all kinds of problems with overcharging etc).

fweijers

Paul, that idea might work:
I attach a 9 Volt battery clip to the power supply outputs and leave it unused.
In case power fails, I will disconnect the power supply and click-on a 9 volt battery.
This single battery will then power three units, but it would only have to last for 1 -3 hours, and it saves me a lot of work (disconnecting, open up, insert batt's, screws, reconnect blabla).

Before I solder the 9-volt clip to the outputs of the power supply, I will have to check the impedance of the power supply, but that should be okay: I am using a power regulator IC: LM7809, and I suppose this won't be giving me any problems.
As an extra-safety, I will insert a diode to make sure no current can flow towards the battery in case both the battery is connected, and the power supply is switched on.

rocket

What do you mean with
QuoteCan't leave the batteries in it; line6 support center adviced me not to.

they can't be serious .

R.G.

Sometimes you just have to use a hammer...

Depending on whether you want (1) pretty-good assurance that it will always work or (2)rock solid, slam-dunk, manned-space-mission rated reliability, try
(1) go to Radio Shack. Get a six D-cell battery holder. These are your 'batteries'. Put the six D cell holder into a box with a single pole, double throw switch, with a center-off position. Run the AC powered 9V into the box, and use the switch to select AC powered 9V or D-cell powered 9V. Take the batteries out of your pedals ( making special allowances for the positive ground stuff if you have any.)

(2) order a 12V 6A-h gell-cell lead acid battery and wall-wart charger.  run the output through a regulator (the ones at GEO work nicely. There are others.) and run your effects off *that*. This rig sits plugged into the wall at all times when you're not actually transporting it to or from a gig, and so the battery is always charged. At the gig, it's still plugged in trickle charging, but the battery never loses much. If the charger fails, you can run for hours on the battery by itself.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.