Resistor question for TS-9 mod..

Started by Stephens, February 23, 2005, 07:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephens

I just recieved my resistors from small bear for my TS-9 mod.  I ordered the metal film and the composition sets.  One set is blue and the other set is brown.  Are the blue resistors the metal film ones?  And are the metal film ones the original type to use if I want a traditional TS-808 sound?        Thanks!

phillip

The blue ones are usually the 1% metal film resistors, and the tan ones are usually the 5% carbon films.  I like to use the metal films myself for their tighter tolerance.  You can use either in the TS to get the TS808 sound...won't notice any difference at all.

Phillip

bwanasonic

Quote from: StephensAnd are the metal film ones the original type to use if I want a traditional TS-808 sound?

<sigh> The important thing is the value of the resistor. The effect of carbon composition resistors in a circuit like the TS is most likely not detectable by most (if any) human ears. Of course people claim to be able to hear a difference, but people also claim to have psychic abilities. If anyone wanted to make the effort, I'm pretty confident  the *resistor  mojo* theory would fail miserably in double-blind tests. Metal film resistors are less susceptible to noise and potentially could make a very slight difference in the overall noise level. The reason you change resistors in a TS9 for the so-called *808* mod is because of the different resistor values.

Kerry M

Stephens

Thanks for your help guys!  I really appreciate it now that I'm stepping up and trying to do this stuff myself.

Fret Wire

Enjoy and have fun. :)  Here's a nice photoessay on the 808 conversion from Fransisco at Tonepad:
http://www.tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=9&sequenceNo=1

Like he says...the beer is optional. :wink:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)