OT: Using anti-static bags for shielding?

Started by ryanscissorhands, February 23, 2005, 08:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanscissorhands

So I've searched the forum for related topics, and most discussions revolve around frying chips, and the incessant paranoia around such things.

I googled it, and saw an interesting article on a demonstration on how well they shield ESD, their main purpose.

Now, I ask you, can these be used to shield a stompbox? I ask this , because I have access to a fair number of them. And I have also wanted to use some "scrap" plexiglass that I acquired while working in a solarium shop. If the bags can shield, it would be cool to make a side, top, or bottom of a pedal out of plexiglass, with a bit of a silver-metallic tint to it (the static bag).

It seems so cool, there has to be something wrong with it. I'm excited about making a see-through box (don't somp too hard!), but I fear that, again, there is some major oversight that prevents my dreams from coming true.

Anybody know more about this?

KORGULL

Hi, it seems unlikely to me that this would work.
Now I don't have any in-depth knowledge about these bags or anything but I am thinking about the materials that do provide adequate shielding for stompboxes (solid metals, aluminum or copper tape, aluminum foil etc...) and they all conduct electricity. If you test these materials with your multi-meter set for continuity check - you will get a beep. Try it with one of these bags - no beep.
Maybe these bags contain some conductive material but not enough to block out RFI Which is something totally different from ESD.
-Just an educated guess.

ryanscissorhands

[Sigh]. You're right, no conductivity. But the article I read said that they are conductive. I even tried puncturing the bag, in case onely inner layers were conductive. No luck.

However, my second choice was cigarette package foil, which is conductive (and looks cool, too!). That'll work for the shielding. I'm also planning on finishing an entire box in cigarette foil, now. It looks really cool when it's layered.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you are looking for rigid material to make shielding from, I recommend thin brass sheet. It solders like a dream.

primalphunk

[Begin Sandford & Son Theme Song]

RG's super 77 plus aluminum foil method seemed to work ok for me on some plastic boxes that I used.  That glue is some seriously sticky stuff...  

[End Sandford & Son Theme Song]

YMMV...

peace,
James

tungngruv

Jack Orman suggests using a "metalic paint" bought at about any craft store for making non metal materials able to attract/hold a magnet. Go to www.muzique.com and it's under a section that deals with cheap enclosures, I think.