News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

CA3080

Started by zeppman, February 23, 2005, 10:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeppman

Anyone know how to test one of these outside of the circuit to see if it's dead or not?  My comp is not working at that is the only thing I can pick out.  I did the audio probe and once i get to the output (pin 6) it is dead.  But I'm not positive if it is the chip or if im shorting out the output somewhere.  I don't know if I wired the pots right.  On the tone pade schematic...are you looking at the bottom of the pots or the top of them.

R.G.

Have you read the sticky at the top of the page that is titled "What to do when it doesn't work"? That's a really good start to giving someone here the info to make a good guess at what's wrong.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

zeppman

RG-

I did in a previous post titled "Help with my ross comp clone".  No one was able to help.  If you would like to see it again, let me know and I'll find it and re-post.

Thanks

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The only way to test a 3080 outside a given circuit is to build a simple circuit from (for example) the CA3080 or LM3080 application notes or data sheet & see it it works.
One thing to be careful of, is the pin 5 of the 3080, if you run more than a couple of milliamps into it (eg by accidentally touching it against the power rails for an instant) it dies immediately.

toneless

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The only way to test a 3080 outside a given circuit is to build a simple circuit from (for example) the CA3080 or LM3080 application notes or data sheet & see it it works.
One thing to be careful of, is the pin 5 of the 3080, if you run more than a couple of milliamps into it (eg by accidentally touching it against the power rails for an instant) it dies immediately.

CA3080 are very sencitive :x  

One more layout may help... :
http://photobucket.com/albums/v220/veroboard/TP%20Dynacomp/?action=view¤t=Dynacomp.gif

Good luck. Remember that if nothing happens it's time to rest!  :)