Cutting traces on Veroboard????

Started by vortex, February 24, 2005, 12:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

Inspired by Torchy's generous layout extrvaganza, I am going to try out the Veroboard for building. I am looking at my suppliers Veroboard list and notice that there is a special veroboard trace cutting tool ($16.00 CAD).

How necessary is the cutting tool? Is there a better alternative?

StephenGiles

I use a Rose Countersink. I'll try to find a picture.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

vortex

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There are special drill bits for making holes for pop-riveting metal sheets.
I use these drill bits (in a handle) because:

1. they are the right size
2. they are shorter than ordinary drill bits
3.they are double ended!
4.and cheap!!

The other thing I use with veroboard, is a wire brush (a big stiff wire brush).
After cutting the traces, I scrub the board. Because 1 this makes it shiny & dead easy to solder
2. if you are lucky, it will break off any tiny bits of copper hanging around the track breaks.

And when you are finished soldering, you might as well test for a short circuit between adjacent tracks and across 'breaks'. If you don't, you probably will have to after you switch on, anyway :wink:

Gilles C

I used Veroboard a lot a long time ago for my daywork.

And I was using that tool.

Not so long ago, I began to work again with Veroboard, but for my own use. When I finally decided I needed that tool again, I bought one...

You can't imagine the difference it makes. Go and "GET ONE".

Here is my last work on a 68HC908GP32 veroboard:

http://www.finitesite.com/gtechblues/Files/Bot.jpg

aron

I think I found the "ultimate" tool; a dremel!

I put one of the small bits on it and simply drill right onto a hole and it takes away the copper. No fuss, works perfectly!

I'm starting to like stripboard!!!  :D

Gilles C

Quote from: aronI think I found the "ultimate" tool; a dremel!

I put one of the small bits on it and simply drill right onto a hole and it takes away the copper. No fuss, works perfectly!

I'm starting to like stripboard!!!  :D

Hey, great idea.

I will try with my small battery dremel-like drill.

I also begin to like stripboard. I am finishing a uController board that I will use to experiment switching a few Boss pedals with.

When it's working, I want to make a smaller one to put inside a guitar. I want to try sending the signal controls on 1 wire to be able to use only a stereo cable. Anyway, that's all on vero-board... So, I will try your idea.

Gilles

col

I use a small 12v hobby drill similar to a dremmel I bought for making model trains with a cutting disc which is intended for cutting track. I think I paid around £5 for it. Maplins and most hobby shops have something similar. The mandrill that holds the discs was expensive but the actual abrasive discs are cheap and can be used to cut the aluminium boxes as well. The discs are very fragile and I'd recommend safety glasses as they can shatter.
The advantage of the disc is that you can cut a slit between two holes rather than losing a full hole by drilling meaning that the board layout can be more compact. I have not had any problems with solder bridging the gap or with bits of copper remaining to cause a short. It is also very easy to cut a slot across the board, for example when fitting an IC socket.
I always clean the board before use with a bit of very fine wet and dry paper. It makes solder joints easy and instant.
Col

col

I called in Maplins for some parts yesterday and got their latest clearance catalogue. They have an 18v rotary tool kit with accessories at half price at the moment (£14.99, code N14BG) and a large accessory set at half price (£9.99, code N07AV). I know it's UK only but I'd be lost without my mini drill.
Col

MartyMart

I use the 5mm drill bit from my "Dremel" kit, if I use the drill powered, it can easily "cut" too deep or "jump" to another track, so i use it between my fingers !  works great.

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com