Finished Colorsound 3 knob Tone bender but....ANYONE?

Started by jimbob, February 24, 2005, 09:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

i dont know where to place the 3 different transistors I bought from Steve at Small bear. Im using the GGG layout http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/tb3cs_lo.gif

WHERE DO I PUT THESE 3 GERMANUIM TRANNYS? THEY EACH HAVE DIFF SPECS TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THEM BUT I STILL DONT KNOW?

ANYONE?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

So far i put a transistor w a label on the bag-q1-55 to the very left, q3 in the middle (113) and q2-(65) to the furthest right. Sounds very fuzzy..really decent! I think ill try q1-q2-q3 and see how that sounds. I read somewhere that you could replace 2 of the trannys w 2n3906's without a change in sound or quality..
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

MartyMart

Jim, I just built the "Two Knob" version and somewhere in steve's guidelines for that one he says "matched pair" go into Q2 and Q3 which i assume is a pair like an 'FF'..... so from my pair - Q1 went into Q2 and my Q2 went into Q3.   ( middle and far right of board )
For the "ToneBenders" 's Q1( left on board )  I tried a few trannies, found a AC128 with Hfe of about 60  and this worked very well, sounds FAB !
You may have the sound about right, but try this :
Your "55" in Q1, your "65" in Q2 and your "113" in Q3

Thats how I see it, hope it makes sense ?

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Simon Owen

I have just built an npn version with a MPS13 darlington replacing the first two transistors and an AC127 for the third and it sounds peachy....

jimbob

Ill give that a try. Sounds damn decent so far. Im suprised! Ive never used those expensive metal trannys before. WOW. ALOT of distortion. And sounds nice too. And quiet. The closest i ever came to a Tone Bender was a reissue Maestro Fz-1. Thats sucks.

petemoore

Quote from: Simon OwenI have just built an npn version with a MPS13 darlington replacing the first two transistors and an AC127 for the third and it sounds peachy....
First I've heard of an AC127 .... must be the NPN version of the 128..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

I just retroed an NPN Si TB Board to PNP POs Gnd Tonbender last night.
 took some time to find that Q1 was just plain bad and made the thing oscillate.
 Yuop Tonebenders are fun...hopefully I'll end up with a boxed TB next month that I use again / alot.

jimbob

I might have to order more german. from steve! Do a fuzz face ect,,

petemoore

How are yo uliking these TB's, I can't seem to get one I'm consistantly happy using.
 I'll put one in a box, try it out for a while, then the noise or actin' funny otherwise seems to make me want to tear back into it again.
 I think my TB"s just don't like boxes...
 On the little tube test amp, TB in the testjig, I get very stupendous tone, fair G.Vol. cleanup [yesterdays encarnation].
 Noisy though. I have a buncha transistors....lol...
 SB Ge choices [4-5]
 NTE158's
 2n5089's
 2n3906's
 2n4403's
 Sure is COOL Fuzz Sound though.