Stomp Switch washers

Started by dosmun, February 24, 2005, 10:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosmun

Anyone know where you can get the metal washers that come on Stomp switches?  I don't use any washers currently because I hate the look of those white plastic ones that come with the Blue 3PDT's.  I would like to get a hold of some metal ones if possible.

Hal

gorohon

Try going to a good hardware store and see if there are some stainless steel washers that might work.
"Come on in...I've got caaandy!" H.S.

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: dosmunI don't use any washers currently because I hate the look of those white plastic ones that come with the Blue 3PDT's.

:mrgreen:
Yo! +1. The use of those ugy washers should be forbidden IMHO. For an unclear reason people keep on screwing perfect paintjobs with that white plastin and seem to think it looks more boutique.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

dosmun

I tried Ace Hardware.  They just have the big washers about thes size of the plastic ones.  I am looking for the thin ones that arent much bigger than the not itself.  I thought I seen a site that had them awhile back but can find it now.

Outlaws

dosmun

That is a lock washer but will work.  I think I will order some of those.  I thought it was SB that had them but when I did a search all it came up with was the plastic ones.

H.Manback

One of the arguments the users bring to the table is protecting the paint job... Sounds sensible, but think about it, you are protecting a piece of paint no one will ever see... unless your switch falls out or something :roll:

No, can't say I like the white washers either :D

That said, I bought a dpdt switch, which broke, but it did have a nice mounting nut, it was a round one with grip marks, instead of the standard hex nut. Looked pretty decent. Not too handy mounting wise though (you need a good grip on it with your fingers). Anyone know where you might find these?

onboard

The shaft on the 3PDT's and Carlings out there is 15/32" (12mm) give or take. 12mm flat washers are pretty common - the closest standard size commonly on the shelf is probably going to be 7/16?. Going with 1/2" leaves a slight gap that may or may not be covered by the hex nut. Not noticeable unless you're going for perfect.

Here's the rub - once you get up to around 1/2 I.D.,  garden variety flatwashers are almost twice the thickness and width of the supplied 3PDT plastic washers. We're only talking 8th's of an inch, but it can make a difference for a variety of reasons. Ok if you want the chunky look, but not low profile enough for me.

After searching through all the drawers at the local mom-n-pop hardware store (something becoming hard to find in and of itself...) I found a drawer labeled "machine bushings". The icon looked tantalizingly close to what I was after. Sure enough. Just under the thickness of the plastic washer and close enough to it's width to keep the same look.

All I could find at the big box hardware/home stores were the extra thick, extra wide, typical flatwasher.
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

puretube

Quote from: H.Manback... you are protecting a piece of paint no one will ever see...

can`t agree with that (don`t like the big whiteys myself, though...):
while fixing/turning the nut the last turn, it grips the paint at the outline of its (sharp)edges, and "smeares" the paint closely surrounding it.