Anyone used transparency film for graphics on pedals?

Started by mojotron, February 25, 2005, 12:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojotron

I was just thinking that if I took a transparency sheet, printed my graphics for the top of the pedal with my laster printer to the transparency. Then, layed a thin coat of polyurethane put the transparency on top of the wet poly... Then, a few hours later put 2 coats of poly on top of that, bake at lowheat....

I would think that this would melt the transparency into the paint leaving the graphics....

Has anyone tried this?

Does it seem like it would work?

Hal

mojotron

Quote from: Halsounds like a good idea...go for it :-D
I'll grab some when I go to work on Monday and try it... but I'm thinking that someone might have tried this.... or something like it

j0shua

YES! i use those paper all the time to make my PCB's :D

1- transparence paper + laser Printer.....

After you print the paper, just pur the paper on Virgin PCB , and put a White Lamp over the night or you can pur under SUN  for about 2 hours on Sun .... after that you can remove gentle the paper and then put on etching solution  for 10 or 15 minutes depend of what kidn of solution you are using ..... then rinse the PCB and drill holes!

Happy PCB making!

mojotron

Quote from: j0shuaYES! i use those paper all the time to make my PCB's :D
Happy PCB making!

Well, I was thinking of graphics for the enclosure.... I want to try the transparency method for making PCBs, but right now I'm working on enclosures...

R.G.

Transparencies are OK for labeling, but the primo method involves using a transparent glue and gluing the transparency to the *bottom* of a sheet of thin clear acrylic sheet. This gets held to the top of the enclosure by the nuts on the controls.

It's ***way*** more durable than a coat or two of clear lacquer.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

j0shua

Oh Mojotron heheheheh sorry  :oops:

yeah i use 1 time , it's pretty easy but don't have long life , but is cheap :wink:

ryanscissorhands

Just be careful- some transparencies are acetone, which I believe is flammable. Be careful baking.

mojotron

Quote from: ryanscissorhandsJust be careful- some transparencies are acetone, which I believe is flammable. Be careful baking.

I'm thinking that if I put the transparency over a painted surface, maybe an applicatoin of acetone on the bottom of the transparency would help adhere the it to the paint under it on the enclosure.....

I guess I just need to try this and let everyone know how it works...

moosapotamus

The graphics on all of these pedals is done like that, on a thick piece of clear transparency film (acetate).
http://www.river.sannet.ne.jp/albit/syouhin.html

I have a couple of them. I don't know what kind of adhesive they use. They do not seem to be clearcoated. The image actually appears to be printed on the back-side of the acetate so it's protected very well. The other cool thing is that there are no holes in the acetate for the LED's. They are flush mounted so they shine through the acetate.

Nice method. Probably worth some experimentation.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

mojotron

Quote from: moosapotamusThe graphics on all of these pedals is done like that, on a thick piece of clear transparency film (acetate).
http://www.river.sannet.ne.jp/albit/syouhin.html

I have a couple of them. I don't know what kind of adhesive they use. They do not seem to be clearcoated. The image actually appears to be printed on the back-side of the acetate so it's protected very well. The other cool thing is that there are no holes in the acetate for the LED's. They are flush mounted so they shine through the acetate.

Nice method. Probably worth some experimentation.

~ Charlie

Great, Than ks!  :lol:  This gives me some ideas. What were your thoughts on the general quality of the look? I intend to sell the pedals I am making.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That plastic stuff with the printing 'inside' is possibly Lexan: example:
http://pfl.labelserve.com/control.html

col

I did this over the weekend believe it or not. I Took great care in baking the paint onto the boxes, got a great finish and then put the glue on and applied the transparencies. They looked great for 5 mins then the solvent in the glue attacked the paint. They don't look too bad once the buttons and switches are on as long as you don't look too closely but I'd try a glue that doesn't attack the paint next time. Anyone any ideas? I'd need a solvent free clear dryng glue.
Col

toneman

paint was not dried completely.
surface dry is not enough.
some enamels take several months to dry(cure).
Note:  "epoxy paint" does *not* come in a can...!
U have 2 mix it.
T
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

mojotron

I was actually thinking of aplying the transperency on top of wet polyurithene without using any glue. let stand for 2 hours. Then apply a coat of poly on top of that and then bake....

So there's no enamel or glue involved....