Dallas Range Master - More Bass

Started by gerkear, February 25, 2005, 02:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerkear

I just built the Dallas Rangemaster using the schematic from Small Bear.  When I use it with my Ampeg V4 I have to have the bass control on my amp up really high for it to sound good.

Is there a mod that will increase the bass in the pedal so that I don't have to turn it up so much on the amp?

BlackFlag1313

Increase the value of the input capacitor.  Try a .01 uf up to .15 uf.  Bigger cap - more bass get left through.

gerkear

ok thanks!  right as i get home ill switch a bigger input cap in.

Outlaws

Quote from: BlackFlag1313Increase the value of the input capacitor.  Try a .01 uf up to .15 uf.  Bigger cap - more bass get left through.

Cool thanks.   When I build one I will add that.  Mine is gonna have a toggle switch though I think so when playing by myself I can have the extra bass, but when jamming with friends I can cut through.

:D

Arno van der Heijden

Call me me stupid, but the effect is called 'treble booster'.  :shock:

This was to be expected...

BlackFlag1313

Quote from: Arno van der HeijdenCall me me stupid, but the effect is called 'treble booster'.  :shock:

I'll be sure to refer to it as either a full boost or bass boost when I switch capacitors to avoid being inaccurate.   :wink:
The switchable cap option does make for a nice boost pedal, though. IMHO

Outlaws

Quote from: Arno van der HeijdenCall me me stupid, but the effect is called 'treble booster'.  :shock:

Shhhhhh.......thats still a secret.   :P

gerkear

Quote from: BlackFlag1313
Quote from: Arno van der HeijdenCall me me stupid, but the effect is called 'treble booster'.

The boost is what i'm looking for...not so much the treble.

Ivana

I see 2 variants
1) increase OUTPUT cap
2) make a PARALLEL in-fhase channel with bass boost and tweak a balance. It seems to be cool IMHO  :D

toneless

Quote from: IvanaI see 2 variants
1) increase OUTPUT cap
2) make a PARALLEL in-fhase channel with bass boost and tweak a balance. It seems to be cool IMHO  :D

I'll second that!  :)
I can't remember the output cap but maybe a 2.2 uf may do the job well.

lovekraft0

I think that increasing both coupling caps to about 1uF will give you essentially flat (within 3dB?) response over the guitar's entire frequency range, but like Arno, I'm not sure what the point of a full range treble booster is. Isn't that just a PNP LPB-1?  :?

bwanasonic

The bass *loss* was considered a feature, not a bug of the original circuit. The stock rangemaster is ideally suited to a warm/dark and somewhat overdriven tube amp, in a stage volume band setting. If you have an amp that excels at *Loud, Bright and Clean* it might not be an ideal match with the rangemaster.  

Kerry M

BD13UK

I'd have to agree with bwanasonic on this,  the original cap may well be too trebly for your needs so use a socket or switch to to change caps to your liking, the original cap choice for  the rangemaster was fine if you judt want lots of treble, personally I prefer a bit more depth to the overall sound
Brian

Arno van der Heijden

I also agree with Bwanasonic. His comment reflects exactly what I would have said, but couldn't, because I didn't know how to express it in English language that well.
So, thank you for that Bwanasonic  :D

Khas Evets

I built a rangemaster variation with a SP9T input cap selector with each cap being 50% higher or lower. I've found it adds much more versatility to an already great design. The extreme high and low caps may be a little extreme, but I like to experiement with 'wrong' tones sometimes.

d95err

You can change the frequency response gradually if you put a large cap (e.g 0.15) and a (trim)pot (e.g. 100k) in paralell with the regular input cap.

At no resistance, the caps work paralell, their values are added, and you get the full frequency response. When resistance increases, less current go to the large cap and you get less and less bass response. At 100k the effect of the large cap should be negligable and you get the classic rangemaster sound.

At least, that's supposed to work. I am just about to try it. I got the idea from the forum at www.buildyourownclone.com, and people there seems to have made it work.

BD13UK

IMHO anything above 1uf will be too dark sounding especially if humbuckers are in use, you would be best advised to use a socket or switch to to go from around 0.0047 to 1uf if you dont want too much treble.
Brian

bwanasonic

Quote from: BD13UKIMHO anything above 1uf will be too dark sounding especially if humbuckers are in use, you would be best advised to use a socket or switch to to go from around 0.0047 to 1uf if you dont want too much treble.

I put two 4n7 in parallel and used a switch to select between one or both. For me this amounts to a *humbucker/ single-coil* selector.

Kerry M

MarshallPlexi

Quote from: d95errYou can change the frequency response gradually if you put a large cap (e.g 0.15) and a (trim)pot (e.g. 100k) in paralell with the regular input cap.

At no resistance, the caps work paralell, their values are added, and you get the full frequency response. When resistance increases, less current go to the large cap and you get less and less bass response. At 100k the effect of the large cap should be negligable and you get the classic rangemaster sound.

At least, that's supposed to work. I am just about to try it. I got the idea from the forum at www.buildyourownclone.com, and people there seems to have made it work.

Any word on how well this worked? This sounds like a fantastic idea!