Current Consumption Question - Uglyface and Jawari

Started by ryanscissorhands, February 27, 2005, 09:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanscissorhands

Hi. I'm looking at boxing up an Uglyface and a Jawari in the same box, and want to know what kind of current consumption each has, so I can figure out what I'll need to power them both.

Also, is there any (relatively simple) way that I can calculate this from a schem, or should I give up the math if I'm not well-versed in electronics?

Thanks.

ryanscissorhands

Tim Escobedo

The Jawari should be pretty low. Maybe less than 1mA. the Uglyface is more difficult to estimate. Quiescent current could be anywhere from about 3.5mA to maybe 10mA. The big variable is the 386 chip, depending on brand and grade.

With a input signal, the Uglyface can draw up to about 20mA if the envelope control is maxxed out. This surge comes from lighting up the LED in the optoisolator. If you roll your own optoisolator, you can use a more modern ultrabright and need less current lighting it up to the stisfaction of the CdS cell.

ryanscissorhands

Thanks, Tim. And, well, thanks for designing/posting those schems, too! I've craved the UF since I first heard it. It's time to do something about that craving. . .