Bobtavia Resistor question

Started by tungngruv, February 28, 2005, 10:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

I don't have an 820K resistor for my second Bobtavia. I'm thinking of using a 1M. I think itwill be OK but just wanted a seond or third opinion. Thanks for any help.

petemoore

without looking at the schematic I can only say a probly
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

The Bobtavia holds a sweet spot in my heart, because it was my first pedal. Until lately, I thought it was the ultimate up octave scream machine, but I'm afraid Gus Smalley's Simple Octave Up, has taken over that position, just for shear train brake screeching highs that it delivers. Make it sometime, and see if I'm telling the truth. It uses the same Radio Shack transformer as the Bobtavia.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

tungngruv

I'm replacing the simple octave up with the Bobtavia ( actually the "Neo-Octavia). The Bobtavia sounds better to me than the "Simple Octave Up" IMO. I made a Bobtavia first, then gave it to my uncle. Thought I'd try the S.O.Up and honestly like the Bob better. IMO, both don't sound outstanding unless driven by a fuzz or overdrive. I'm boing to try the 1M, I think it'll be OK. Thanks for the comments though!!!!

jmusser

This must be a matter of equipment being used, and we all know that has a lot to do with what an effect will sound like. On my stuff, I don't need anything driving it, and it sounds better than the Bob. I'm not saying light years better, but more intense octave and sustain. All this is interesting to me to hear different people's views. I guess this is why some effects I build sound at least as good as the sound samples, and other ones are just marginal. The Pushme/ Pullyou was a good example of that. Through Tim's equipment, it obviously sounded fine, but through mine, I had no octave what so ever with the original transistor configuration he specified. Another example would be the Gargletron. When I first built it, it sounded  fair, but nothing to write home about. My son suggested that since I had it and the Punch-In-The-Face in the same build fixture, I should drive the Gargletron with it. I fiddled around with it, until I had the Punch-In-The-Face fuzz firing only when I attacked the strings aggressively. It made all the difference in the world, and took it from a so so effect, to a professional class effect.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

tungngruv

You are corect. I'm running a couple Ibanez guitars through a 79' Marshall JMP. I'm not saying the S.O.U. sounds bad, just with my gear, the Bobtavia sounds better (to me).

brett

Hi.  The Bobtavia is sensitive to signal level, so probably sounds best with high-output humbuckers or in combination with a booster, etc.  It also has issues with low input impedence, so it will compromise the highs unless a booster or other pedal acts as a buffer between the guitar and the Bobtavia.  

I'm building a version with a simple jfet booster in front of it, which should resolve these issues.  I'll let you know how it goes.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)