Power Supply Filter Box?

Started by seekup1982, February 28, 2005, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seekup1982

I have been modding several guy's pedal boards because of noise problems.  I got very good results with a certain wah pedal by adding a 3.3 ohm resistor to a 2200 uF cap to ground twice to filter the power side of the circuit.  Can I make a small box that does this for the whole board?  The guy was using the SKB power supply and another is using Boss's power system distributed through a tuner.  I also use Visual Sound's 1Spot for my power.  The filtration with the wah that I did made it so quiet that with full gain on my amp, I couldn't hear the sweep back and forth due to the complete lack of hiss involved with unfiltered power.  Let me know if you think this "Box" idea would work.  Thanks,

Ben

Mark Hammer

It most certainly WILL work.  I've made a few myself, and recommend use of a plastic "power distribution box" for just such a purpose.

Steve Daniels offers his Small Wart project at SBE, which is an outcome of considerable consultation regarding the "ideal" pedal power supply with the greatest flexibility.

If you already have a supply you like, however, there is nothing wrong with using it to "power" a second box from which you can run individual power connector cables to pedals to share power, or to recondition the power with extra filtering or even voltage changes (such as "dying battery" outputs) or polarity changes (for those infrequent boxes that have outside ground).