psw's sustainer mania !!

Started by psw, February 28, 2005, 03:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Quote from: pswOh No not you my friend. I've been gettign some flack...suggesting that I've been faking to and various threats like the last one on PG and I'm just sick of it frankly. I will be aiming to sell such a device and you can help...

I'm very keen to get the opinions of people like yourself on some of the ideas on, not so much how it works, but what you want it to do and to look like. There's no point me gearing up to make a "product" to sell if no one will put something like this actually on their guitar. I'm convinced that for most people this is the way to go. I don't think people want to take a drill to their instrument nor will want to deal with the complex wiring or risk damage in installing a system.

The key though is acceptability, if the thing looks as good as this, people seem to want it more...if it was just some kind of black box, I don't think they'd be any takers at all!

I'm sorry if I caused any offence to anyone, I'm sure most of you are people of good faith and there's nothing sarcastic in a potential sale!

I'm heartened that your so impressed, have you seen the other pic's at PG?

psw

Just to be sure, I re-read this thread.  No flak here, psw!  You're preaching to the choir, and we're eager to hear the sermon, Reverend!  You're among friends here!

psw

Well Mr Coffee had some strong words and got a little condesending in his PM but it's posts and emails like this recieved today:
Quoteman im geting mad with your talking what the hell is your problem? stop anoying me i have notho«ing to do with your paranoia  tomorow i will post here a video demosntrating the sound of your f** sustainer its nothing special to build and if contoinue to anoy me i will put here the plans of your "NOT SPECIAL" DRIVERS I WILL BUILD TONIGHT A SISTEM JUST LIKE YOUR!!!!!!!!!!!! SO DON´T MESS WITH ME AGAIN I EXPLAINED YOU A FEW TIMES I DONT NEED YOUR FAKE PROIJECT FOR NOTHING YOU DIDN´GET NOTHING NEW TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JESUS WHAT A PARANOIC GUY!!!

This kind of s*(t is starting to piss me off. This one came out of Portugal through the PG site on the public forum. The emails were just as silly!

I've spent two years developing something here and breaking new ground and all I get from those most able to help is preaching like to paraphrase:

'there are only three ways to achieve infinite sustain...your project is unfortunately doomed to failure.' (DIYstomp PM yesterday).

This is incredibly condescending. I really do have something new to offer and would open things up for some really amazing opportunities in manipulating the drive signal with effects of a totally new breed.

Coming up with stuff like I have with months going by without satisfactory results to come out the otherside with the strength of your convictions tested is really difficult. Where were these naysayers when I could have used them most, many of them (not from this forum necesarily) visited every day (like the first guy above whtching my failures only to pop up with critisism as soon as there is a little progress forward to say it's not enough or worse, that your ideas are doomed, or worse still, faked.

I really, really would like to put sounds up, and if someone knows of a free host like phoobucket hosts my pics, I'd be more than greatful. Just don't tell me it's easy to do, tell me how it's done!

psw

PS pardon my vitriol!!!!!!!!

space_ryerson

Sorry to hear that people are being less than savory about this.

Here's some thoughts about what I would want in a sustainer system like you are offering. First, I own an ebow and a FR sustainer. The FR is pretty good, but I had to basically build a guitar around it, as you know, not all pickup positions work when the sustainer is on, and it eats two 9v's in a hurry. The plus to the system is that it sounds great, and does sustain really well. Like you mentioned somewhere, one note does begin to dominate in chord sustaining. I have been thinking of building a power supply pedal, and running power into it via a stereo cable, thus removing the need for batteries, but I digress.

The ebow is good, because much like your product, you can use it one any guitar you want, without installation. The limitations are obvious.

I like the idea of six independant sustainers. I also like the idea you proposed of using square waves and pulses to get more synth-like effects. I'm ok with mounting the module on the top of the guitar, behind the bridge, but I wonder what other options there are. I know you are limited with having a 9v battery somehow involved, unless you powered via a cable running to a remote power supply, which can get ugly fast. I do like the removability ascpect of it. I'm left handed, will it work if I put it in backwards? 7-8 years ago, I went sustainer crazy, and I wanted a guitar with one very badly. No one at the time was making left-handed guitars with a sustainer, so I had to build one from scratch, and order a custom-built sustainer from floyd rose, since fernandes and other companies wouldn't sell me one. I know lefties are few and far between in guitar playing, but having it work for us would be a definite plus.

Also, would it mount ok with single coils on a strat or tele?

I do like the look of one of the other proposed designs more than the one you have shown here. (the one with the round end). I have some experience in designing, as I was an illustrator for a while; so if I come up with anything, I'll draw it or render it for you. Also, my girlfriend is an industrial designer, so I'll see if she has any insight. When you get a solid prototype going, I suggest going to a guitar store, and seeing if it will work on every guitar in the store, maybe even the steel stringed acoustics.

psw

Thanks Mr Space!

I've sent Emre the designer from Turkey who came up with that box idea and did the artwork your compliments. He'll be real pleased. It' might be possible to have a range of options for the look of things if I end up hand building them, we'll have to see.

Meanwhile, I'm really excited because against some contrary opinion that my device couldn't possibly work, it's working even better than I hoped and after a short break, I'll be back at PG with some sound clips (and when I work out how to get them hosted which is the only real problem).

This device has some really interesting sounds and is quite different and has some added sounds that you don't get with other devices as well as all the usual sustainer and ebow type effects. It really is terrific, I'm really pleased as it's taken two years to get to this stage!

check out the site from time to time and I'll be asking for some input from you stomp box guys about the idea of adding effect and stuff to the drive signal

cheers guys

psw / pete

By the way MR COFFEE, email me guy!