opamp suggestions?

Started by G Kresge, February 28, 2005, 09:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G Kresge

Can anyone recommend some different opamps to try out in an overdrive/screamer? I'm looking for something with a little different flavor than that of the 4558. Maybe something that will produce a bit more "mellow" sounding OD?

j0shua

Are many Dual Op amps on the market , if you try to get other taste in Ibanez Overdrive or .Tube screamer , read first the information about some of them like :

TL072, TL071, TL061 ETC... AND 4560 IS VERY SIMILAR TO 4558 BUT WORKS WHIT 32V MAX ....

Don't try to change the IC , if you don't read the info of those IC's , Pins are not same in all IC....

MartyMart

Quote from: G KresgeCan anyone recommend some different opamps to try out in an overdrive/screamer? I'm looking for something with a little different flavor than that of the 4558. Maybe something that will produce a bit more "mellow" sounding OD?

For "mellow" try a Panasonic NE5532AP or an OPA2134PA ( Burr Brown I think )
These have worked well in "Tube Reamers/TS-9's" for me  :)
EDIT: Also the LM833N is a great quality/low noise op-amp

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ErikMiller

My favorite 4558 type for opamp/diode clippers is the 1458. I scored a pile of olde Motorola MC1458's that I'm using in the ICBM Fuzz.

G Kresge

Thanks guys. I'll see how it goes with some of those. Thanks for the suggestions!

bwanasonic

Keep in mind you are unlikely to get much more difference than you would get by a slight adjusment of EQ. It's fun to experiment with, but don't expect radical, life-changing, OMFG type differences.

Kerry M

mlabbee

I've A/B'ed a bunch of different op amps and couldn't hear a damn bit of difference between any of them . . .

petemoore

"Barber' stacking...
 For the OA socket, take two OA's and 'stack them' [pin 1 to pin 1 and pin 8 to pin 8 of the bottom one]...IIRC I read 'some typing about smoother or softer...tried it and seemed like maybe it worked [I only A/B'd stacked duals Vs dual using the little RCA Victor test amp]...tried it again with different type duals, and I think I overheated them while soldering...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

BlackFlag1313

Quote from: petemoore"Barber' stacking...
 For the OA socket, take two OA's and 'stack them' [pin 1 to pin 1 and pin 8 to pin 8 of the bottom one]...IIRC I read 'some typing about smoother or softer...tried it and seemed like maybe it worked [I only A/B'd stacked duals Vs dual using the little RCA Victor test amp]...tried it again with different type duals, and I think I overheated them while soldering...

You can get some very noticable differences 'Barber stacking' (piggy-backing) OA's.  I've found some pretty cool combinations with 4558 on 4558s, TL072 on 4558's, etc.  You definately hear a difference, and plus they look cool. 8)

Joe Kramer

I second the vote for 1458s.  With guitar, the slower the op amp the better.  Anything with a fast slew rate sounds scratchy and thin (to me).  This goes for anythng FET --TL060-70-80 series, LF353; and for bipolar chips with faster slew rates--5532, and even 4558.  I have a cheep and cheesy Peevey guitar amp loaded with 4558s, and after swapping those out for 1458s, it doesn't sound so screechy and thin.   I'd be happy to find a chip even slower than the 741/1458!  Anyone know of such a creature?  

Joe
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

Eb7+9

Quote from: Joe KramerI'd be happy to find a chip even slower than the 741/1458!  Anyone know of such a creature?  

I just noticed this doing a search ...

... in Miller integrating op-amps the slew rate is determined by the product of the bias current feeding the input pair times the compensation capacitor in the integrating stage ... slewing occurs when the input pair is hard clamped to one side and the NFB servo loop has lost "lock" condition ... if you want to experiment with lower Slew rates then you can try some older LM-series op-amps that have a pair of external compensation nodes and stick a higher value cap in there ...

Roberto

I love the LM833N for TS clones.  I like it   better than the JRC4558D
[

I tried the LM833 once and got a really bad whistling noise, making the pedal unuseable... switched back to the 4558 and it was fine.  This was a tubescreamer clone.  Perhaps i got a bad LM833?

Roberto

I think so. JRC4558D is noisier than the LM833N, in fact LM833N is a very quiet opamp.
[

mojotron

You have to check out this thread if you haven't already.. I would agree with the findings here for the basic TS use of an opamp.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=17942&highlight=opamp

Fret Wire

I never found the NE5532 to be "thin or scratchy", but warm, smooth, and round. You will see it gets a good recommendation time after time. But, everyone has different ears and gear. I've never tried the 1458, so who knows? I doubt I'll ever again line up 6 identical pedals, and test op-amps and other mods until I'm deaf and crosseyed. :shock:  A $400 dollar (plus time spent) TS mod experiment that did yield a few new things.  I just wanted to see for myself, learn, and share the findings. I'm not even a TS fan.  

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?p=137787&highlight=#137787

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=21330&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)