Recent FUZZ Builds - photo/info

Started by MartyMart, March 01, 2005, 12:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://www.pbase.com/image/40322470

Mostly practical rather than "flash" !!
The "Tone Bender MK II" is smallbears version and sounds quite good, if a little "woolie".
The "Fat Boostered" is great and works well infront of some of the "Fuzz" circuits, a good little workhorse pedal.
My "Fuzz" of choice is the "Easy Face" built with a 2N3906 and an OC71, this is a great "overdriven stack" type sound, not so "fuzzy" at all  :)
One small problem with this, when "gain" is at almost zero, I lose all signal ! guess I won't turn that knob down then !!

The "Sweet tin" is Dragonfly's "Smooth silicon fuzz" this is quite a nice circuit, I will play around with the transistors in it, at the moment it has two BC549B's which are doing quite a good job, it gets "wild" and "splatty" at full bore -- NICE  :)
The "chrome" thing on the end is a BMTB with no controls, a good treble booster circuit.
The "Blue/Green" you've seen, its my "EasyVibe" -- FAB !
Thanks to Steve, Joe Gagan, Andy, John Hollis, RG and Torchy
for helping all these "Toys" come to life !!

Enjoy,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Nice Looking Boxes !!!
 I know you're doing great...So Am I  :D  !!!
 I just finished boxxing up a TB [2 SB Ge's and an NTE158 Q1]...very impressive and I'm super happy with that...had trubbles with 'my Tonebenders...not this one...really nice and smooth...has an 'Axis Face cap' [the one that goes across the 1k on top'], works G r R E E A A T !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jimbob

petemoore- I finished my tonebender and its awsome but now im thinking bout making a silicon one. If im correct youve made a few of those? What do you recommend? and silicon trannys?
thanks
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

MartyMart

Quote from: TorchyThread hijack alert ...  8)

Nice stompers Marty - well done :)

Yeah ! total ...... thanks Jim  :roll:

Oh by the way, about that wallpaper you have in the lounge....... er .................... do cream knobs make a difference ................. my cat's called "fluffy" too ..............

Marty. :wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

radio

Sigh

You were the first to use the lemon drops box

What gonna I do now with them :D ?

Neat work

Greetings JMErnzer
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Dragonfly

WOW !!!! youve been a busy guy !!!

Lookin' great Marty !   BTW...if you socketed the trannys on the "Smooth Silicon", try the 2n2369 (Q1) and 2N2270 (Q2) i sent ya !!!  not nearly as much fuzz, but great cleanup and a high gain akin to a tubescreamer/fuzz face hybrid !

how do you like the Fat Boostered ?  Comparisons to the AMZ boosts and Sparkle Boost ?  Just curious....

Thanks !

jmusser

Hey Dragonfly, is the Smooth Silicon one of yours? I hadn't heard of this one for some reason. As for the Silcon Tone Bender, I built RDVs MKII version of it awhile back, and it has to be my favorite 60s style fuzz to date. He may have the schematic on his site. I know we traded the 5089 on the last stage with a 5088, and I believe it had 4401s for the other two. The 5089 had too much gain. I know I have the schematic at home for it, if you don't find it anywhere.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserHey Dragonfly, is the Smooth Silicon one of yours? I hadn't heard of this one for some reason.

yeah...sort of...though i cant take complete credit for it...it incorporated ideas from various contributers like Brett Robinson and Pete Moore.

i posted it in an older thread, though i'll post the schemo here...its a silicon FF with a few basic mods to make it a bit sweeter...noithin' fancy :)

Dragonfly

...heres the Smooth Silicon schematic for ya....

Andy
Dragonfly FX

jmusser

Thanks Dragonfly. It looks simple enough that even I could build it :shock:  I still need to put together your Joy Buzzer, and do the sustain mod to your Dirty Sanchez. It looks like your Sparkle Boost has been a big hit by the masses.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserThanks Dragonfly. It looks simple enough that even I could build it :shock:  I still need to put together your Joy Buzzer, and do the sustain mod to your Dirty Sanchez. It looks like your Sparkle Boost has been a big hit by the masses.

i like simple circuits...easy to build, and quite often, very effective :)

now...back to "Marty the Madman" and his builds :) ....that fruit tin is really cool...i have a little X-Men lunchbox (its really a candy box) that ive been saving for something special...and a "Squidward" (SpongeBob) tin thats beggin' for a circuit as well :D .....any ideas Marty ?

jmusser

I'm almost 48, and I know who "Squidward" is! My kids detest Sponge Bob, so we have to sing the theme song real loud when it comes on. Squidward is cool, but he's not "Gary" by a long shot!

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserI'm almost 48, and I know who "Squidward" is! My kids detest Sponge Bob, so we have to sing the theme song real loud when it comes on. Squidward is cool, but he's not "Gary" by a long shot!

heres a pic of the "X-Men" tin and the "Squidward" tin, shown with a Altoids tin for size comparison :)

Andy

MartyMart

Quote from: Dragonfly

now...back to "Marty the Madman" and his builds :) ....that fruit tin is really cool...i have a little X-Men lunchbox (its really a candy box) that ive been saving for something special...and a "Squidward" (SpongeBob) tin thats beggin' for a circuit as well :D .....any ideas Marty ?

Well that "X MEN" box is crying out to be a "RUBY" with built in speaker...
And "Squidward" would be good for a "three knobber" circuit.... or perhaps a "Fat Boostered" ! ( great booster/eq BTW ) judging by his face
you could call it "The Grumpy Boostered"  !!

Marty.  :lol: